Hunkered down in Florida

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, here we are at the point of no chance to evacuate. Please say some prayers for us folks, especially those in the Miami area.
I have prepared as best I can for my family's safety, but weirdly enough I worry about my trees. My sea elevation is one of the highest points in my county. I expect to have some wind damage and no flooding. Thank GOD.
Looks as though Irma is projected to ride the coast, not cool. Wind direction is going to change and cause more damage.
Again, I ask my tree nut friends to keep us all in your prayers. I hope all is safe including our trees.

Attachments

• 20170908_212555.jpg
    20170908_212555.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 20170908_212545.jpg
    20170908_212545.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 83

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
Good luck to you and your family. Hang on tight!!!!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Keep safe, fingers crossed.
Why no chance to evacuate, too late? Is that beast moving so fast or because of chaos?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good luck, be safe. My parents and grandparents houses were flooded during Sandy. As long as your family is safe, that's all that matters!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess after eleven it makes sense a lotta out a country folks are posting.

Just odd three in a row!

All you guys are awesome!

Hang in there Jarath!

That gnome will take care of your trees!

Sorce

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One last swim before all hell breaks loose

Attachments

• 20170909_143402.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should be safe in the pool, right?:eek::eek::eek:;):D:D:D:D:D

Stay safe....but if it looks like all hope is lost, at least find some debris and go skim boarding...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously, take care of yourself and any elderly-types:(:):):)

toscgwsndiqz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Traffic is screwed, over 6 million on highways. 3hrs to safety is more like an all day drive. No gas, no hotels and better to survive at home than on some highway.
Yesterday North bound I-95 and all of the alternative routes through South Carolina were clogged. Cruising at 4 to 5 MPH from I-26 to Savannah

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm 9 miles from the east coast and about 2o miles north of Miami

Winds are strong right now, trees are whipping and rain is coming down hard.

Im going to try and get a quick video and post it.

got all my trees in the shed and fingers crossed........here are some of them:

20170908_221425.jpg
20170908_221434.jpg
20170908_130330.jpg

Wait those aren't trees ^^^^^^^^ hahah!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Still no power. Back door leaked. Backyard wiped out. All our fences are destroyed.

Was 100 yesterday no air conditioning. So we drove 25 miles north and waited 1.5 hours for checker burgers. Better than sitting at home dying of heat.

Here are some photos:
20170911_083704.jpg

20170911_083659.jpg

I can't get anymore loaded. Barely connected. I'll make a thread once the computers work. I have footage and photos.

I'm so tired. Needless to say the baby has been up constantly. Barely sleeping.

All the trees made it....so far!!!

Ficus being bitches and dropping a few leaves but that was expected.

Idk whether to rebuild or leave. Without air the house is so dank. Disgusting. I feel like everything will be ruined from the humidity.

Hope everyone else is ok as well.

Taking little one for a walk before the sun is fully out

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Still no power. Back door leaked. Backyard wiped out. All our fences are destroyed.

Was 100 yesterday no air conditioning. So we drove 25 miles north and waited 1.5 hours for checker burgers. Better than sitting at home dying of heat.

Here are some photos:
View attachment 160462

View attachment 160463

I can't get anymore loaded. Barely connected. I'll make a thread once the computers work. I have footage and photos.

Idk whether to rebuild or leave. Without air the house is so dank. Disgusting. I feel like everything will be ruined from the humidity.

So sorry for all of the damage. But you and your family are OK, that's what's important. Everything else can be replaced.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Doesn't look too bad as long as your house wasn't trashed. No electricity sucks. I'll bet if you had your A/C things would be looking much better. Do you have a generator for your fridge/freezer?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Here are some photos:
View attachment 160462

View attachment 160463

Damn man... that sucks...
At least you're alive!

brush painter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Here are some photos:
View attachment 160462

View attachment 160463

A ton of trees down up here in Tampa as well... spent yesterday and today manning a chainsaw until gas/oil mix ran out. Then we just started roping them off and pulling them off the side of the road with the SUV.

Power has been off since 8 pm on Sunday. Not expected on before the end of the week. Last I checked, we still have 500,000 households without power. Alot of downed lines... at the end of my streer we have a 100 year oak tree actually hanging, suspended off the ground... in the telephone lines.

Put a call out for a car battery 24 volt to 110 volt converter this morning, and luckily found one to run my Koi Pond pump... really hot today and the fish were up sucking air... was worried that come tomorrow they would start dropping off like flies. Currently running the SUV in the driveway to get them going.

Tonight we salvaged what we could from the fridge and took it over to a friend who still has power... tomorrow morning I will start working on the Freezer. My wife just did a stick pile before the storm, so of course we have like a couple hundred dollars worth of food, drinks, etc...

Phone service/internet is really bad... currently out in the middle of the street typing. Water we have, but fears of people returning home, those that evacuated, and the influx of consumption dropping the pressure low allowing for sewage and run off water to leak into pipes, that we might reach a boil all water point. Some stores began opening, but have no , or little food, water, ice, etc. Fast food restaurants have lines down the street. Handful of stations have gas. And a ton of traffic lights out... which sucks when you have a four way stop on two 6 lane streets... a lot of luck making it through safely.

Very little structural damages however... unless from falling trees. But, we definitely had winds over 100 mph come through.

I am a Native Floridian, been through a lot of hurricanes... there is obviously major significant damage done in areas like in the Keys and down towards Naples an Marco Island where the eye made landfall.
But, the smaller wide scale damage is just State Wide. This srorm set the record for the Largest Evacuation ever performed in US History. Over 22 million people reside in Florida. It's crazy... but everyone is helping each other out... and I think everyone is for the most part just happy it was not worse!

Haven't had a chance yet to see how any Bonsai Trees are doing...

Top Bottom