Hurricane Florence

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As Hurricane Florence meanders toward the east coast of the U.S., what precautions is everyone taking with their bonsai? I have several trees to move and a whole lot of potted plants and flowers. I also have several landscape trees that I was going to plant this weekend but will wait now. I hate moving plants because invariably some will get damaged. To make things worse, my new garage won’t be finished and everything will have to go in my hundred year old barn. The real kicker is I have signed up for a bonsai class in Raleigh scheduled for this Saturday. That is supposed to be when Florence visits. Who else is in her predicted path?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
From the looks of the projected path we may even get some rain out here in the mountains. At this point I can use it, it hasn’t rained here in abiut a month and we have had to start watering landscape plants. Our biggest issue out here is the wind which invariably topples trees taking down power lines with them. And almost all our power lines out here are above ground. I will tighten up the wires holding my pots to their monkey pole platforms and move the moe vulnerable ones into sheltered locations.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Going to play it by ear here in Central Va. They are calling for some high winds and a lot of rain. If it looks like it will get bad, I'll move trees into the garage and the shed. I could secure them to benches but that doesn't stop limbs and other stuff from falling on them. Better safe than sorry.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Last year, when Irma was barreling through the SE, I moved my smaller trees under the benches and actually tied my bigger trees onto the benches... mind you the storm was forecast to only be a tropical storm/depression when it got to N GA and my yard is very protected from wind. If I were in the path of and expecting the wrath of any Hurricane, Cat 1 and up, I'd be moving all of my good trees into the garage or house. A hundred year old barn, if maintained and in good condition, has stood the test of time and sounds like a good place for potted trees to seek refuge. Good luck to anyone who may have to deal with this storm or any others to come this season.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I haven't been following the news. But seen a friend on FB send a trajectory map of where it's to hit. Praying it weakens...and those in its wake are prepared...and they come out okay.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And as usual, the Hurricane draws away all the wind and
changes our rain to up and down showers from the sea.
Thus, everyday the sky is sunny until 11 or 12 and then turns
black.

If there is enough energy, rain falls bucket a drop.

May Huracan see fit to be mild.
Mazo, Mazo.
Good Day
Anthony, the Mayan

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If winds are predicted above 50 mph, get your trees INSIDE YOUR house if they weigh less than 50 lbs. smaller trees are at risk of becoming projectiles in high winds. They're also vulnerable to other stuff flying or falling in the wind.

I've weathered a few smallaer hurricanes here, including Isabel in 2003--which brought almost two feet of rain and 80 Mph (and gusts to 100) winds here as it came up the Chesapeake.

I put all my big trees (over 100 lbs) on the ground behind a fence. Smaller than 35 lbs came inside...Big trees did fine (none of the trees in the woods decided to fall on my house thank God)...

good luck N.C., this one looks like a bitch as it makes landfall. It's going to stall over the Mid-Atlantic and dump a few feet of rain on us...

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm down in Duck right now, supposed to be leaving on Saturday but looks like I'll be leaving sooner :(

There definitely isn't as many people down here as there would be normally this time of year.

I hope everyone and their plants are safe, I don't think NC has been hit hard by a hurricane in a long time, and hopefully it stays that way. Stay safe out there people!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well Florence is starting to look very, very serious, more so with each update. My new school, The University of North Carolina at Wilmington, ordered mandatory evacuations staring tomorrow. Although I live off campus, I’m evacuating too. My roomate from Raleigh is saying he’s going to stay, as Raleigh looks like it may not fair much better anyway. A girl next door may be staying too. Fourth and top floor of a newer apartment complex. I don’t really know how safe a location like that is. May end up leaving too however if it worsens and Wilmington orders mandatory evacuations. Hopefully they will make the right decision.

In preparation I moved everything away from the window as much as I could, and put valuables and electronics in the closet. I have to leave behind my two pico reef tanks, I hope they make it but there’s a major chance they won’t if the power is out for an extended period. A battery operated air pump will only get them so far. Sigh. What else could I do though. My roomate, if he actually stays, will throw the emergency pumps in for me.

First picture is of Sunset beach today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...extreme-threat-to-southeast-and-mid-atlantic/

Attachments

• 2CC979DA-BAB0-4D85-9F6F-9AFC8C1323BA.jpeg
    2CC979DA-BAB0-4D85-9F6F-9AFC8C1323BA.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 33
  • AE3938E8-788C-49E4-88BA-829BF69B0C2C.jpeg
    AE3938E8-788C-49E4-88BA-829BF69B0C2C.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 8E9EBB33-2E40-4965-B0C8-D5036500F845.jpeg
    8E9EBB33-2E40-4965-B0C8-D5036500F845.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 35B00E79-1535-4EBC-B438-CC4A4FE8E266.png
    35B00E79-1535-4EBC-B438-CC4A4FE8E266.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 39

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Well Florence is starting to look very, very serious, more so with each update. My new school, The University of North Carolina at Wilmington, ordered mandatory evacuations staring tomorrow. Although I live off campus, I’m evacuating too. My roomate from Raleigh is saying he’s going to stay, as Raleigh looks like it may not fair much better anyway. A girl next door may be staying too. Fourth and top floor of a newer apartment complex. I don’t really know how safe a location like that is. May end up leaving too however if it worsens and Wilmington orders mandatory evacuations. Hopefully they will make the right decision.

In preparation I moved everything away from the window as much as I could, and put valuables and electronics in the closet. I have to leave behind my two pico reef tanks, I hope they make it but there’s a major chance they won’t if the power is out for an extended period. A battery operated air pump will only get them so far. Sigh. What else could I do though. My roomate, if he actually stays, will throw the emergency pumps in for me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...extreme-threat-to-southeast-and-mid-atlantic/
Stay safe, that's what is important. Wishing everyone in it's path the best.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
In Taiwan when the typhoons arrive, as in this weekend probably, I will move trees onto the floor around and under benches.

Windows here are more or less built to withstand typhoon winds.

Stay safe and stock up on water and instant meals like noodles that don't need a stove or lights to cook.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I would hate to leave your pico tanks behind?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Good for you on getting out. This is an extremely dangerous mother effer of a hurricane.

Tell your idiot neighbor to write her Social Security number on her arm in sharpie. She's not going to do well. I've got friends and neighbors who work at FEMA here in D.C. They've been busting their asses since last week to prepare for responses. Even so, if she's at the coast and this thing takes out all the infrastructure, no one is going to get to her body for days...No joke GET THE EFF OUT.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Good of you to use common sense and get to safety. I pray your things fare well. But at the end of the day...worse case they can be replaced. What rockm said...sent chills. I hope you pass his sharpie comment along and they wake up. This is a doozy!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My flight on Friday was thru Atlanta, I called and they allowed a re-route thru Milwaukee at no charge. You know if the airlines are allowing changes for free, then it’s no joke. Get out and hope for the best.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would hate to leave your pico tanks behind?
Yeah it’s very unfortunate, who knows if they’ll make it. At the end of the day however it’s just things, albeit very expensive things that I like and have spent a lot of time on lol. But as bad as this storm looks like it may be I think a couple reef tanks are not the priority here.

Good for you on getting out. This is an extremely dangerous mother effer of a hurricane.

Tell your idiot neighbor to write her Social Security number on her arm in sharpie. She's not going to do well. I've got friends and neighbors who work at FEMA here in D.C. They've been busting their asses since last week to prepare for responses. Even so, if she's at the coast and this thing takes out all the infrastructure, no one is going to get to her body for days...No joke GET THE EFF OUT.
Yeah I think it’s the right choice to leave for sure, although only being 2 hours further in I’m not too sure it will be a whole lot better. And it’s not just my neighbor, my roomate and his dog too. And who knows who else is staying in the apartment complex. His reasoning is 1)it won’t be much better in Raleigh and 2) he didn’t want to deal with traffic coming back if we have class Monday or whenever.

Good of you to use common sense and get to safety. I pray your things fare well. But at the end of the day...worse case they can be replaced. What rockm said...sent chills. I hope you pass his sharpie comment along and they wake up. This is a doozy!
Most definitely they’re replaceable. I feel bad about the animals inside though. And I appreciate the prayers!- I think SC/NC will need a lot come Thursday.

I do feel, being newer construction (2014) and fourth floor of a sizeable complex, that my apartment will be fine. It’s jusy the power outages and windows that worry me. Would you not think that all coastal construction nowadays would have storm windows?

I am however VERY worried about the campus. I can imagine a lot of potential for flooding. I’m sure this isn’t their first rodeo though and they may have a good idea on how to prevent loss.

Top Bottom