Hurricane Irma downed Vitex rescue

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Irma knocked down my Vitex, I knew it was pretty hardy and took transplanting well so I dug out the stump and it was split in half. The shorter bushy one was the first to come up a couple weeks ago. Today I dug out the taller stump. I had to cut it down as it fell on my wife's car.

Attachments

• DSCN6205.JPG
    DSCN6205.JPG
    472.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN6202.JPG
    DSCN6202.JPG
    495.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN6203.JPG
    DSCN6203.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN6204.JPG
    DSCN6204.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 87

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I am open to thoughts on where to go with either of them, the clumpier one is doing very well after a couple weeks, new growth and I am starting to prune it for more branching, just waiting to find inspiration in it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
it won't take long, I already see buds coming out at each leaf node. The stump is back budding, too.

Like he said let it be allowing it to recover and reestablish. Buds early on are not always a good sign after all.

Grimmy

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Like he said let it be allowing it to recover and reestablish. Buds early on are not always a good sign after all.

Grimmy

Yeah this could be a last ditch effort to survive then it petters out and dies. Best to just let grow and gain strength

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I was planning to just let it go nuts for 6 months to a year, just was looking for thoughts on the stump part of it, I for sure want to shorten it. The root flare s really nice on it so it will make for a cool old snag type of tree.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
They are both doing well, especially the shorter one, the tall one is dropping all its original leaves and pushing out new ones. The cuttings I stuck in the pot look like they are taking, too. It was really easy to air layer, took 4 weeks, so I am thinking its able to take a lot of abuse.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with the others, do nothing but let them grow, at least until middle of 2018. The shorter one has more bonsai potential, in that it will be easier to get an image with correct proportions. The big stump, will take several years longer to get a workable sense of proportions. Especially the big one, you will need to wait and see what sprouts, maybe even wait a couple years. You may have to resort to major carving to turn that straight bolt of a trunk into something more interesting than a telephone pole.

But if stuff sprouts in the right places, all is good. Wait and see.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I agree with the others, do nothing but let them grow, at least until middle of 2018. The shorter one has more bonsai potential, in that it will be easier to get an image with correct proportions. The big stump, will take several years longer to get a workable sense of proportions. Especially the big one, you will need to wait and see what sprouts, maybe even wait a couple years. You may have to resort to major carving to turn that straight bolt of a trunk into something more interesting than a telephone pole.

But if stuff sprouts in the right places, all is good. Wait and see.
Its sprouting out all over on the tall stump, so I will have lots of options

Top Bottom