Hurricane Michael

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My family evacuated Tallahassee last evening when they announced the storm was just a few Mb/MPH from being a Cat 5 storm. I won’t get back until Friday, to give them time to clear roads. The “Forgotten Coast” of Florida has been hammered, particularly Panama City Beach and Mexico Beach.

How about a check-in from some of the folks in the Panhandle, the Red Hills, the Big Bend, the Wiregrass Region, the Emerald Coast, and the Forgotten Coast? @Vin ?

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hope your place doesn't get trashed...this storm hit angrily. Been praying for all involved in its path.

Thank you. My home is on the N.E. side of Tallahassee, just a few miles from GA. Someone from Neighborhood Watch will hopefully let me know.

I’m getting reports from friends and peers via text, FB, and Twitter, that you can’t go one mile in any direction in Tally because of all the downed trees and power lines. Tallahassee was on the east side of the storm (worse sector other than the direct path/eyewall). Tallahassee may be a relative mess, but there is straight-up devastation in the direct path of the storm. I saw video of concrete block buildings collapsing from wind loads in PCB.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think @Vin is in Panama City. Hopefully, everyone in it's path will be OK, with minimal damage. Not very often I'm glad to live in IL......

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once all rain and breezes drawn away from us.
Hope Hurracan is kind.
Good Day
Anthony

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have lots of kins whose homes were dead center of the path of the eye. They are all safe but don't know the extent of damage yet. This will be devastating.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very little loss of life reported so far. There will be some discovered, though, because there were people that refused to evacuate from coastal areas, and it generally takes days to find their bodies. LEOs were telling people who refused to leave surge-vulnerable areas to write their name and SSN on their body with a Sharpie, so they’d be easier to ID when their dead bodies were found. <— That convinces some to leave, but not all.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Went to his/Vin's wall...then over to his wife's wall over on Facebook. She posted 13 hours ago that another relative is okay has no working cell phone. But when facing such a brutal storm...live bodies are the main thing. But nothing in the ways of they are hurt. So taking that as good news. Until ones say otherwise. I know we all were concerned for @Vin. That said...I hope he had more than a few trees fare okay from this storm. It was brutal from videos I am seeing.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We are right in the projected path of what remains of Michael. I will be going outside soon to move my trees out of harms way. I worry about the old homes and barns in our area. Many are a century old and won’t hold up to tropical storm force winds.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have lots of kins whose homes were dead center of the path of the eye. They are all safe but don't know the extent of damage yet. This will be devastating.
My family in Panama City are all accounted for, their homes - not so much!

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The strength of the winds in that were just insane. Watched it on Tv quite a bit yesterday and can't even imagine being in that sort of storm. The weather Channel even pulled one of their crew out and moved them quite a distance away from where they were originally staying with one family's home. If it's bad enough for the news crew to leave town, then you know its time to high tail it out of there :eek:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Gulf Coast Hospital in Panama City is near collapsing. They are evacuating patients!
One of my brothers is doing the initial damage assessment. We fear the worst since we've seen some of the houses in their neighborhood completely gone.
Well at least we got experience for disaster in the family. My 90+ year old parents are as cool as cucumber when they found out about the status of the houses. Their reaction: "We are all alive. That's all we need."

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't realize Vin lived in Panama City. I hope you made it through OK, @Vin

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Praying for everyone affected by this hurricane. Cannot imagine living there and seeing everything gone...
Fortunately not many lives lost.
Homes and bonsai collections not so fortunate. Hope Vin is safe.
Blessings sent

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It appears I'll be loading up my tools and heading to Panama City soon.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Someone posted a photo of Vin's house on FB. Possible tree on the front section. Spoke to his wife Wendy via FB. She's pretty much overwhelmed with what they are facing. Vin's trees were inside his now destroyed greenhouse. They can't even reach it yet. So keep them in your prayers as they dig out from this disaster.

Top Bottom