Hurricane Michael

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That was certainly "ground zero."

Several of my friends with beach houses have been posting pics and video of coastal areas about 20 miles east of Mexico Beach (St. George Island), and interestingly, most of the homes built after the Hurricane Andrew building codes upgrades when into effect, are still standing. They got a 12' surge there on SGI. Many of the pre-Hurricane Andrew code buildings along the coastline are now gone. Even in Mexico Beach, there are structures that were built under the latest iteration of the coastal building codes, that while significantly damaged, are structurally intact. On those waterfront properties, the stilts make all the difference in the world when the surge rolls in. Of course, anything that gets built to replace the destroyed buildings in these coastal areas, will be built to the modern coastal codes, and will have a MUCH higher survivability the next time one blows through. The small inland towns that got hammered will not be subject to the same stringent level of coastal building codes, though.

My wife and I were talking about this very thing as a result of all of this. Our house was building in '72, and has a gable end roof, which makes it about as vulnerable as it gets for a roof. Based on conversations I've had with structural engineers, our roof will likely come off in the sustained winds of 110-120 MPH range, which means that had this storm blown a little bit more westward, my house would have be on the casualty list. We are working towards downsizing our property as we approach being empty nesters, and if we build a house, are certainly going to entertain, or at least get quotes, on building to Cat 4 wind loads.

The latest "missing person" report I heard (this morning) was that 50 of the 250 people believed to have ridden out the hurricane in Mexico Beach, are "unaccounted for." They don't necessarily believe those people perished, though, because communications are so shot in that area, they might have evacuated late and not reported in, or couldn't let anyone know where they were going.

You can significantly strengthen your house by drilling hole every few feet along the cap of your wall and run cables all the way down to your foundation and connect the cable to fasteners attached to the foundation anchors that is drilled and anchored into concrete with epoxy. All my brothers' houses were built to the new code and the structure survived hurricane Michael but some of the doors and windows were blown out when hit by the inner eye wall. When the eye went through, things were calm for quite a while but then wind increased from zero to 150+ in about one minute!

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can significantly strengthen your house by drilling hole every few feet along the cap of your wall and run cables all the way down to your foundation and connect the cable to fasteners attached to the foundation anchors that is drilled and anchored into concrete with epoxy. All my brothers' houses were built to the new code and the structure survived hurricane Michael but some of the doors and windows were blown out when hit by the inner eye wall. When the eye went through, things were calm for quite a while but then wind increased from zero to 150+ in about one minute!
Would you do that during initial construction, or is that a retrofit technique?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Would you do that during initial construction, or is that a retrofit technique?
That is for retrofit. For my house in initial construction I used 5/8" all thread galvanized rods.

Top Bottom