Hurricane Michael

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Someone posted a photo of Vin's house on FB. Possible tree on the front section. Spoke to his wife Wendy via FB. She's pretty much overwhelmed with what they are facing. Vin's trees were inside his now destroyed greenhouse. They can't even reach it yet. So keep them in your prayers as they dig out from this disaster.
Awful. Keep us posted if you can. Just glad to know that they were not there.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In northern North Carolina we got 3” of rain with winds up to 40 mph. We were so fortunate! I have some branches to cut up tomorrow but no real damage.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Awful. Keep us posted if you can. Just glad to know that they were not there.
I don't think they left Judy, by what she said earlier on her wall. (Vin's wife)

Vin had a brief moment he left a comment. Thought to share...keep them in your prayers like others they have a lot on their plates.
Thanks Darlene. I just have a second but we're okay just a bit battered. The house took a pretty big hit on the north side. No power, phone service, internet etc. I'll try to message more once I can get a phone or something. Please give my love to all.
Manage

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The paper towels are supposed to be there sometime early next week I hear.
After they get done campaigning that is.
Who knows for sure though.
Maybe it'll be toilet paper this time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I find it rude to be changing the topic of a post, when you see the devistation of what they are facing down there. I'm a bit raw anyways...and this PISSES me off seeing ones falling down rabbit holes over people's hardships. To turn it political...is about as lame as it gets.Vin is like family...his greenhouse crushed with trees inside. Let's make toilet paper jokes... ?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guessing he's too busy interviewing Kanye West for a cabinet position.
Kanye will be driving the truck with the paper goods in it!
Then Trump will make Kanye's wife Secretary of Prostitutes.
After rigorous "vetting"!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
make toilet paper jokes
I just did.
Want another?

I find it rude to be changing the topic of a post, when you see the devistation of what they are facing down there. I'm a bit raw anyways...and this PISSES me off
I find it odd,your panties weren't all in a bunch when Maria hit Puerto Rico.
Sure Vins trees are in a crushed greenhouse.
It's the price he pays for living there.
If he loses them he loses them.
If he doesnt that's great.
If he does and starts over then we will know hes serious about bonsai. They're only trees after all.
I will make jokes. Especially when bad things happen.
Tramp made this one easy for me.
If you dont like it then that's too bad and I could care less really.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
There were a lot of people that didn't give a rats hinder about Maria, I rode out 4 hurricanes (more if you count Matthew,Rita, Katrina and Wilma south of us) in FLA and its no party, had my house and job destroyed by Charley we rebuilt and replanted and were ok that is what is going to have to happen now. The destruction in both Puerto Rico and now the panhandle are incredible and the people need help, not PR opportunities by a self serving cares about himself only "leader". We have a lot of people here from Puerto Rico that may never return home.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They have announced our first hurricane (Europe) called Leslie: https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/hurricane-leslie-approaching-portugal-spain-58471683 more to come in the future of course, stronger and more hurricanes, storms. The end is coming.
Who hands out the absorbent paper products for you people?
If you want we can send our guy over. He has practice and is a very stable genius while tossing them out.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Field reports indicate lots of casualties in this hurricane, most particularly in Mexico beach. God have mercy on those poor souls.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just got words from my brothers. My parents 3 acre garden for thirty years with pecans, persimmons, and many other trees was totally destroyed by hurricane Michael. All the trees were uprooted with many even blown away. The hurricane also destroyed the green house, chicken coops, honey beehives. There is nothing but an empty lot and broken trees. My parents are with me now. I don't have the heart to tell them all this. They are in their nineties and have seen much war destruction in their lifetime but still this is the last of their work.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just got words from my brothers. My parents 3 acre garden for thirty years with pecans, persimmons, and many other trees was totally destroyed by hurricane Michael. All the trees were uprooted with many even blown away. The hurricane also destroyed the green house, chicken coops, honey beehives. There is nothing but an empty lot and broken trees. My parents are with me now. I don't have the heart to tell them all this. They are in their nineties and have seen much war destruction in their lifetime but still this is the last of their work.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Where was their home?

The storm stayed Cat 3 and remarkably well organized well into Central Georgia before it downgraded. I heard a report yesterday that the GA Agriculture Commissioner estimates $1B in damages to crops, most notably the pecan industry, where 50-75-year old trees were plucked out of ground, which represents generations of work in these farming families. All the fall row crops that were in the ground, cotton getting close to harvest, etc. is wiped out. Lots of small towns hammered.

All those communities within about 30 miles either side of the eyewall are pretty devastated. Most of the video and pics are coming out of Panama City, Mexico Beach, and Tyndall AFB, where the destruction from the surge was significant, on top of the wind, but all of those little country towns north of there are devastated by the winds, too. Here in Tallahassee, there are LOTS of connections to these little surrounding towns, so, now that the lights are back on here, family/friends/businesses/churches are organizing convoys to deliver relief supplies to these affected areas. One of the biggest problems is the lack of cell and Internet service in the affected areas... Verizon service is practically nil, but AT&T is reportedly still working. The small City of Marianna, which owns its own power & water facilities, is down on the power side for months. It is going to take years for these small towns to recover from this, and like Puerto Rico, many of the people will leave for the "big city" looking for work in the interim, and not return.

Some of my professional associates (in healthcare), are securing travel trailers, motorhomes, and generators to set up temporary facilities where they can deliver care in a climate controlled environment. In the days after the storm, we were so fortunate to have cool weather around here, but today, we are back into the 90s in the daytime, and sick or elderly people cannot handle that. What would have been unthinkable working conditions a week ago (a motorhome/trailer/generator), are suddenly looking pretty darn good this week. When they visited the offices in Panama City, yesterday, they said it was "worse than they could have imagined," with mold already covering every surface, and rendering the office completely unusable (on top of no power or water).

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm so sorry to hear that. Where was their home?

The storm stayed Cat 3 and remarkably well organized well into Central Georgia before it downgraded. I heard a report yesterday that the GA Agriculture Commissioner estimates $1B in damages to crops, most notably the pecan industry, where 50-75-year old trees were plucked out of ground, which represents generations of work in these farming families. All the fall row crops that were in the ground, cotton getting close to harvest, etc. is wiped out. Lots of small towns hammered.

All those communities within about 30 miles either side of the eyewall are pretty devastated. Most of the video and pics are coming out of Panama City, Mexico Beach, and Tyndall AFB, where the destruction from the surge was significant, on top of the wind, but all of those little country towns north of there are devastated by the winds, too. Here in Tallahassee, there are LOTS of connections to these little surrounding towns, so, now that the lights are back on here, family/friends/businesses/churches are organizing convoys to deliver relief supplies to these affected areas. One of the biggest problems is the lack of cell and Internet service in the affected areas... Verizon service is practically nil, but AT&T is reportedly still working. The small City of Marianna, which owns its own power & water facilities, is down on the power side for months. It is going to take years for these small towns to recover from this, and like Puerto Rico, many of the people will leave for the "big city" looking for work in the interim, and not return.

Some of my professional associates (in healthcare), are securing travel trailers, motorhomes, and generators to set up temporary facilities where they can deliver care in a climate controlled environment. In the days after the storm, we were so fortunate to have cool weather around here, but today, we are back into the 90s in the daytime, and sick or elderly people cannot handle that. What would have been unthinkable working conditions a week ago (a motorhome/trailer/generator), are suddenly looking pretty darn good this week. When they visited the offices in Panama City, yesterday, they said it was "worse than they could have imagined," with mold already covering every surface, and rendering the office completely unusable (on top of no power or water).
East of Panama City, North of Tyndall Air Force Base right on the bay side. The eye of the hurricane went through the garden as well as the houses of my brothers and cousins.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
East of Panama City, North of Tyndall Air Force Base where the eye of the hurricane went through.
That was certainly "ground zero."

Several of my friends with beach houses have been posting pics and video of coastal areas about 20 miles east of Mexico Beach (St. George Island), and interestingly, most of the homes built after the Hurricane Andrew building codes upgrades when into effect, are still standing. They got a 12' surge there on SGI. Many of the pre-Hurricane Andrew code buildings along the coastline are now gone. Even in Mexico Beach, there are structures that were built under the latest iteration of the coastal building codes, that while significantly damaged, are structurally intact. On those waterfront properties, the stilts make all the difference in the world when the surge rolls in. Of course, anything that gets built to replace the destroyed buildings in these coastal areas, will be built to the modern coastal codes, and will have a MUCH higher survivability the next time one blows through. The small inland towns that got hammered will not be subject to the same stringent level of coastal building codes, though.

My wife and I were talking about this very thing as a result of all of this. Our house was building in '72, and has a gable end roof, which makes it about as vulnerable as it gets for a roof. Based on conversations I've had with structural engineers, our roof will likely come off in the sustained winds of 110-120 MPH range, which means that had this storm blown a little bit more westward, my house would have be on the casualty list. We are working towards downsizing our property as we approach being empty nesters, and if we build a house, are certainly going to entertain, or at least get quotes, on building to Cat 4 wind loads.

The latest "missing person" report I heard (this morning) was that 50 of the 250 people believed to have ridden out the hurricane in Mexico Beach, are "unaccounted for." They don't necessarily believe those people perished, though, because communications are so shot in that area, they might have evacuated late and not reported in, or couldn't let anyone know where they were going.

Top Bottom