Hybrid or natural for a seedling.

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've picked up many seedlinga growing under my great uncles 50+foot Japanese maple. There are a couple seedlings that look different. Here is one of them. Is this normal or a natural hybrid. One leaflet looks different than the normal Greenleaf Japanese maple.

Attachments

• IMG_20180529_151018.jpg
    IMG_20180529_151018.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20180529_151052.jpg
    IMG_20180529_151052.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 73

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Does anyone have any input on this different leaves of this green Japanese maple?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unlikely to be a hybrid but not impossible. It happens that some palmatums show this kind of foliage when young but they usually revert to normal foliage later. Sometimes you will get a new cultivar which holds on to different leaf shape.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started some acer palmatum seeds this year that were collected from my neighbor's basic green Japanese maple. The leaves look like these too. My neighbor has a wide variety of Japanese maples in their yard so i figured they might be a cross with something else, but we'll see if they revert to palmatum leaves rather than dissectum leaves. I hope they do!

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's my understanding that acer palmatum is divided into subspecies. This appears to be 'matsumurae'. What appears most interesting about yours is that it seems to only have 3 lobes on each leaf, much like a trifoliate type.

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's my understanding that acer palmatum is divided into subspecies. This appears to be 'matsumurae'. What appears most interesting about yours is that it seems to only have 3 lobes on each leaf, much like a trifoliate type.
Yes we'll put. I will take extra care of this one to see what it grows into. If it reverts back to the normal green leaf Japanese maple then I'll know it was just being immature. °pun°

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mutations can occur spontaneously on Japanese maples. Most cultivars are chance seedlings, hybrids or mutants, are actually chance seedlings that are then grafted to keep the characteristics of a new plant.

The leaves of your seedlings look a bit like 'Momenshide' or 'Hagoromo'.

Here are some pics of my 'Beni Hagoromo':

acerp-benihag01_180426a.jpgacerp-benihag02_160908a.jpgacerp-benihag02_170428a.jpg

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are several Acer palmatum cultivars with leaves like this. So its more than likely Acer palmatum. The fun part of Acer palmatum seedlings is how diverse than can be, which helps to produce the many cultivars. For some other examples of this feathery look google Hagaromo, Koshimino, Beni Hagaromo, Yamato Hagaromo, Hanezu Hagaromo, Hazeroino. I would grow on an enjoy!!! I have a few of the cultivars with plans for cuttings and layers to make some "interesting" Bonsai. I would consider yours a Hagaromo type seedling!

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grow it, and see.
Look up the history of "zuisho"
Good Day
Anthony

*That is how we found our cultivar of Chlorophora t.
Branches more like a zelkova.

Top Bottom