Hybrid Russian Olive shrub - nice specimen

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Stopped at a local nursery (Sheyenne Gardens in Harwood, ND) and really enjoyed the place. Elderly mom and pop, young enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff, good healthy selection even late in the season. Wandering the shrubs section, I found this very interesting silver leafed guy, all leggy and twisty branching with some fun looking nebari. I immediately saw a promising line and decided to buy. It’s labeled a “Silverscape Olive”, which an internet search showed to be a local (Bismarck, ND) natural hybrid of the Silverberry and Russian Olive. It maintains very good leaf coloration, zone hardiness, high levels of disease and pest resistance, and sterile flowering and fruit, not to mention a much lower tendency to sucker root than its parents.

silverscape olive base1 sm.jpgsilverscape olive1 sm.jpg

It appears to be produced from a Manitoba grower, so it’s no surprise that there isn’t anyone else using it for established bonsai that I could find. It’s certainly not a true olive like many of you grow. I’m looking forward to showcasing the lower trunk and base, and the single long arching branch. I know the intermediate trunk length is a little longer than I’d prefer but in time as the trunk thickens this will be diminished. And of course the really bold silver foliage – wow. My photos were taken this morning in direct morning light so the silver is hard to see. The pot is a 5 gallon size. Fun project!

I have chosen a line that uses a natural sharp back bend in the tree - the first image is au natural, the second is my idea for the trunk line, and the third is how I see the foliage in one spray at the bend and the other along the top of the arching branch. No cuts have happened and opinions are welcome.silverscape-olive-design1-.jpgsilverscape-olive-design2.jpgsilverscape-olive-design3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom