Hydrangea petiolaris cordifolia

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Climbing Hydrangea to. I have had it a number of years, I like the bark on it and the little finger projections it uses to cling to things if it was allowed to. You can read about it here: Climbing Hydrangea

Attachments

• IMG_6509 (2).JPG
    IMG_6509 (2).JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 40

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a Climbing Hydrangea to. I have had it a number of years, I like the bark on it and the little finger projections it uses to cling to things if it was allowed to. You can read about it here: Climbing Hydrangea
Nice tree. Is it the same variéty as mine 'petiolaris cordifolia' ? And do you have flowers with yours ?

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. Is it the same variéty as mine 'petiolaris cordifolia' ? And do you have flowers with yours ?
'petiolaris cordifolia' seems to be a dwarf? I think? Mine appears to be a standard vine and the leaves can be pretty good size for a Bonsai. Yes my tree does bloom. It was potted last year in the Bonsai pot and sulked for a while. This year it only has 1 flower bud on it, I expect it to have lots of blooms next year. In the past it was a reliable bloomer before putting it into the Bonsai pot. This is a large Bonsai and it does weigh a lot. It will not fit in my car either. I actually wired my tree for a number of years and also use pulleys to hold the branches up until they get big enough to stay upright on their own. Basically my tree pretty much had no branches on the right side of it and they have all been developed and they grow fast.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
ok thanks, i see no flower bud on mine now.. so i guess i'll have no flowers this year :rolleyes:

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Autumnal yellow color ->
hydrangea petiolaris cordifolia 2021 10 19.JPG
The brown spots on the leaves are sunburns. This tree recieve morning sunlight only but it would probably prefer partial shade (to avoid sunburns)

Next spring, i plan to repot it and straighten it up a little to the left.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks.. the tree is healthy. And it will produce flowers this year, finaly. I repotted it this spring to lift up a little ->
hydrangea petiolaris cordifolia 2022 03 22 001.JPG
hydrangea petiolaris cordifolia 2022 03 22 002.JPG
hydrangea petiolaris cordifolia 2022 03 22 005.JPG
hydrangea petiolaris cordifolia 2022 03 22 006.JPG

the leaves and the flower buds developp very quickly, i'll take new pics soon

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
same for me i'm curious to see the flowers (finished to developp in June normally)

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one growing in the ground at my house for 14yrs have yet to see flowers

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Gorgeous!
thanks, maybe next year there will be more flowers, all over the tree.. i think i produces flowers on the extremity of the strong branches so i don't think it can produce flowers on small branches, on the top..

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love these. I have tried to root hardwood cuttings but failed. I think that is odd because it seems like it would readily root.

Top Bottom