Hydrogen peroxide for plants!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should be a good news for everyone in 2015. It just recently came to my attention that hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) can be used to protect plant from the root rot (due to fungus or anaerobic bacteria) secondary to the lack of oxygen in the soil! H2O2 has been used a lot in hydroponics to supply oxygen for the plant.

You can get more information in this link
http://www.quickgrow.com/gardening_articles/hydrogen_peroxide_horticulture.html

You can follow this link to see how to use it.
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I have been thinking about trying it too. Got a few gallons of it, but been waiting for others to experiment with it first. What do you think about using it on bare-rooted trees that were sick of fungus? I have some crabapples and azaleas that were losing small branches that I plan on repotting soon.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
last two posts here prior to mine are from koi guys. Surprised they didn't volunteer what they use it for in their hobby as well. :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it puts oxygen in soil to help plants and is an anti-fungal and is great on cuts as a disease preventative and has been used extensively in gardening. I have never considered it for container plants though, especially Bonsai. It would seem to me that the limited soil area and close proximity of the roots may be harmful to the plant. It also is a great mouthwash and footbath so it works at both ends of the body ... :p

ed

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my friends used it on the bonsai. He said it helped his tree out of fungal root rot.
I definitely will try on some of my bonsai to see it works.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been thinking about trying it too. Got a few gallons of it, but been waiting for others to experiment with it first. What do you think about using it on bare-rooted trees that were sick of fungus? I have some crabapples and azaleas that were losing small branches that I plan on repotting soon.

Hi Si,
You can look at info in this link. Good luck.
http://www.quickgrow.com/gardening_articles/hydrogen_peroxide_horticulture.html
Bonhe

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Give me a bottle of peroxide, a box of baking soda, some duct tape and a towel and I am invincible!

This is good to know. Off the shelf or food grade?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have a 1000+ orchid plant light garden in my basement. Also have a dozen or so sub-tropical or tropical trees becoming bonsai mixed into the collection. I use Zertol (the 35% peroxide) only when I notice the "decaying swamp" smell is getting strong. Usually once every month. I use it at about 1 teaspoon per gallon. Have seen no harm, and it causes everything to "freshen up". Can't say I've noticed it curing any existing disease, but it does clean off the foliage nicely. Once I started using it, the random rots of certain orchids seemed to decline in frequency. I still loose the occasional orchid to rot, but not as frequently.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
last two posts here prior to mine are from koi guys. Surprised they didn't volunteer what they use it for in their hobby as well. :)

You're right! I forgot. I got a couple gallons of hydrogen peroxide (3%) to use on my koi pond about 2 years ago when I was planning to treat the pond with potassium permanganate (never got around to it though). Been thinking about pouring the peroxide on my sick trees ever since, but never got around to it. If it's safe for fish, it should be safe for trees right?. Maybe.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am getting ready to put some seeds in stratification so I guess I will give it a go. Hopefully it all works out good as fungus is the bane of propagation efforts...

Top Bottom