Hydrogen peroxide mixed with water in May.

Izzyinsweden

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey guys, so i have a hinoki false cypress that i repotted and started training it thinking it was just the regular evergreen needle type tree. I know now that they are hardest kind of trees to bonsai since they dont bud from deadwood, nonetheless i see new growth so the tree survived which is good. But these trees love water so i have some algae growth on my acadama and pimpstone, I have been reading some forums and they all seem to say algae won’t hurt your plant but it’s just a sign that I’m watering too much maybe. The tree seems to like the water so what do you guys think of the application of hydrogen peroxide 3% solutions diluted with water just to get rid of the algae, weeds and give the roots some air. Honestly I’m more interested in more oxygen to the roots benefit than the algae one 😅, do you think it can work? I would love to hear someone’s experience and opinions pm this.
Much appreciated, izzy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure on the algea part. I use the peroxide mix as a root drench when I bring tropicals in for the winter to help combat fungus gnats, never used it on Hinoki. If your Hinoki is growing well, algae won't hurt it. They tend to want cooler, moister root environments while getting good sun in the canopy. I have mine placed where the pot stays a bit shaded while the foliage gets close to full sun and it's loving it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Overwatering is an over-used term. Watering is such a subjective thing with local micro conditions varying wildly even with 20 feet in a greenhouse or position in a garden, and the frequency and volume, not to speak of species needs, it is a bone of contention that is fought over as often as media formula and with results as mixed. We don't agree on nothin'. That said, if you have algae you're probably retaining too much moisture which is not necessarily watering too often or too much. Hydrogen peroxide will help, but it's like using a pain reliever to hide a source of problems by treating the symptoms rather than eliminating the cause. Long term too wet invites all sorts of bad endings. Especially in the non-growth part of the year when the plant goes from high use to very little use of water. It would help in discussing this subject and your particulars if you would click on your Icon in the upper right corner and enter your location so people who live in similar conditions can properly attack you.;) We cross swords, lots, but it forces us to organize our arguments, -good & bad- into real, fleshed out ideas that make sense, or not. It can be the most important part of our education. If you, or I, can't present an idea in a convincing way to our detractors, maybe we need to know more about something...

Welcome to the ring!:)

Attachments

• PLANTS and Hydrogen Peroxide.pdf
    264.6 KB · Views: 36

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
3% hydrogen peroxide will not harm plants, will not harm roots. Even the undiluted product, at 3% will not hurt the tree. Peroxide diluted to a concentration lower than 3 % will certainly not harm your tree.

Soil structure should allow air penetration. You should not need to use peroxide to get air to the roots. Peroxide will work as an algicide. There is a crust forming algae, Nostoc, that can block air penetration into the soil. So a few applications to eliminate algae is a good idea. You need to evaluate your environment, it should not favor algae. More sun, more air movement the Hinoki would appreciate both, and sun & air movement would discourage algae.

Hinoki is an outdoor tree, I hope you are growing this tree outdoors.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
3% hydrogen peroxide will not harm plants, will not harm roots. Even the undiluted product, at 3% will not hurt the tree. Peroxide diluted to a concentration lower than 3 % will certainly not harm your tree.

Soil structure should allow air penetration. You should not need to use peroxide to get air to the roots. Peroxide will work as an algicide. There is a crust forming algae, Nostoc, that can block air penetration into the soil. So a few applications to eliminate algae is a good idea. You need to evaluate your environment, it should not favor algae. More sun, more air movement the Hinoki would appreciate both, and sun & air movement would discourage algae.

Absolutely.

Izzyinsweden

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Yeah she lives outdoor even in the frost during February and march she stood outside with some protection, the soil i used in my opinion has everything but maybe the pot’s sole hole isnt helping. I appreciate the time you took to help out.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Overwatering is an over-used term. Watering is such a subjective thing with local micro conditions varying wildly even with 20 feet in a greenhouse or position in a garden, and the frequency and volume, not to speak of species needs, it is a bone of contention that is fought over as often as media formula and with results as mixed. We don't agree on nothin'. That said, if you have algae you're probably retaining too much moisture which is not necessarily watering too often or too much. Hydrogen peroxide will help, but it's like using a pain reliever to hide a source of problems by treating the symptoms rather than eliminating the cause. Long term too wet invites all sorts of bad endings. Especially in the non-growth part of the year when the plant goes from high use to very little use of water. It would help in discussing this subject and your particulars if you would click on your Icon in the upper right corner and enter your location so people who live in similar conditions can properly attack you.;) We cross swords, lots, but it forces us to organize our arguments, -good & bad- into real, fleshed out ideas that make sense, or not. It can be the most important part of our education. If you, or I, can't present an idea in a convincing way to our detractors, maybe we need to know more about something...

Welcome to the ring!:)
Nice read

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very interesting and useful reference, thanks for posting. A couple of years ago, I already used a diluted solution to try and save maple seedlings and it worked.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can scrape away the top 1/2 inch of soil and replace with fresh soil. This will get rid of algae, weeds, etc.

Top Bottom