Hypericum Kalmianum

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I “braved the outside world”.. masked up and armed with sanitizing products. We went to a local nursery, as i recently came into a small amount of money, and realized that I had yet to buy a tree IN PERSON.. this year...

Couldn’t decide on/wasn’t “drawn in” by any specimen in particular, and was planning to leave.. when this St. John’s wort was spotted. I adore Hypericum foliage and flowers...and know they backbud well..

Just DON’T know if I should prune NOW.. or wait until winter.

(Ended up being like 15 dollars after 50 percent off PLUS “daily special” discount. :) )
FDA6649D-F9E6-4160-B95E-71C59E86A6F0.jpegA9E79CCB-24A1-459C-AAB2-8D8E36B52AEC.jpeg7C1D4342-2455-476C-AC74-8A93A7D38E7F.jpegA650D7FF-2DF3-454D-B0C1-43E2DE1689A9.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
According to my research; these trees respond vigorously to hard pruning any time..

The downside to hard pruning NOW is that there will be no flowers next growing season.. Although that IS “a bummer”.. I know JUST what has to be done.

Tomorrow.

🤓

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not sure hard pruning now is a good idea given that you don't have much growing season left in Wisconsin. Imo, it might be better to wait until late winter/spring especially considering the possibility of dieback over winter. Never worked with the species, though.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm not sure hard pruning now is a good idea given that you don't have much growing season left in Wisconsin. Imo, it might be better to wait until late winter/spring especially considering the possibility of dieback over winter. Never worked with the species, though.

Thank You!

Yes.. as I ponder it.. the “work” I will perform will not be considered hard.. and will retain much foliage.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Leo in N E Illinois , have you ever worked with Hypericums?

Sorry to keep punching my “Leo card” so often, it’s just that you know my woods/native plants better than even I do... and you’re polite to me, and I enjoy our conversations. ;)

This guy Is Kalmianum, or Kalm’s variety...

From what I gather, they are actually native to Wisconsin (could be wrong, that’s why we are talking :) ) and ENDANGERED in other states, like Illinois.

I was thinking about removing the branches that do not coincide with my “vision”, as well as correcting a few areas 3s to 2s, yadda-yadda, and taking each primary branch back to about 2 secondaries... chasing foliage back. I HEAR (once again, could be incorrect) they back bud aggressively.

Would this plan be “in the clear” to proceed at this time.

(knowing that I’m sacrificing SOME flowers :( )

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to keep punching my “Leo card” so often, it’s just that you know my woods/native plants better than even I do... and you’re polite to me, and I enjoy our conversations
😁

Just wait till spring!

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
😁

Just wait till spring!

Sorce

That’s actually A-OK...

This tree already presents a great medium for viewing/reflection... just as it is.. and I REEEEEALLY am “fond” of it.. so taking my time to negate negatively affecting the tree, is no issue.

🤓

Everything I’ve read states that late-winter/early spring IS the “ideal” pruning time.

Gah! This winter is gon’ be TOUGH on a guy like me.

🤣

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have never owned a Hypericum, much less a H. kalmianum. I do have one species of Hypericum or another growing wild on the farm in Michigan.

I would wait until spring for any and all work. Just get it through the winter.

The wikipedia article

suggests H. kalmianum comes from calcareous fens, sandy, calcareous soils. I do not know how sensitive they are, I would avoid potting into a soil that is acidic. So no azalea soil for this one. No acid plant food for this one. At least if Wikipedia is to be believed.

Use the winter to read up on Hypericum.

I have noticed (plants I've seen in the wild of Hypericum species, not sure if I ever saw H. kalmiana) that they have more or less herbaceous twigs and stems. Not really woody per se. This is a lot like Potentilla. Requires a different touch when styling, they are not like a pine or a maple. Ponder this.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Man, this is quite the Co-inky-dink!!!!
😆. I love this.
Not only did we buy the same plant (well almost, mine is the cobalt’n’gold veriety) at the same time, but being Stately neighbors, we will b able to compare notes and actions with regional relevance!
On top of that, I too scored mine half off.
After roaming the lot for a half hour, doing the trunk view bonsai squat, a staff member looks at me and says, “what are you looking for?🤨.”
I say, “ Not sure just trying to find something that catches my eye.” “Also, When will you start marking down your plants for fall?”
He’s like, “Tell you what, if you see something, bring it to me and I’ll mark it down 50 percent.”
Say what!!! Ok. Then proceeded to find the hypericum.
Not usually one to haggle. Haha!
Doesn’t hurt to ask!
BTW, thanks for drawing up all this good info for US!!! 🤣

I’ve cleaned mine up a little, but like @Leo in N E Illinois stated, that’s it for now.
Hope to get it through winter first.
Cheers!

Top Bottom