I’ve gone bald cypress crazy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Stopped by Dragontree Bonsai in Palm City, FL again and picked this cypress up. Might have left too many branches for now but I’ll let it evolve.

Attachments

• 308E6117-5DDC-444C-AE08-731AEA8D4B8B.jpeg
    308E6117-5DDC-444C-AE08-731AEA8D4B8B.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 127
  • BE3B4EBA-E469-4382-A696-1907F440FA1A.jpeg
    BE3B4EBA-E469-4382-A696-1907F440FA1A.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 156

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stopped by Dragontree Bonsai in Palm City, FL again and picked this cypress up. Might have left too many branches for now but I’ll let it evolve.
Nice piece of material. How tall is it?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two and love them. I also have cuttings started.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice tree. I have 3 BCs in pots. Two have air layers on and I can see some roots already. I will collect the air layers and do the trunk chop this spring. The other one I bought on clearance and was really weak. I'm nursing it to health this year. I may trunk chop that too next year since my goal is to keep my BC at below 40" tall.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like! Nice looking!
I have a buttload of seeds, gathered from cones last month, cold stratifying in moss, in my fridge until April. Anxious to see how many actually sprout and survive...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Spring finally has this guy growing. I made some tweaks over the spring to lean more towards that flat top design. It's crazy, in my mind the initial design was a "flat top"but I left the lower branches too long and numerous. I'm much happier with the silhouette now. I'll keep refining it in the future.

Attachments

• 5I9A5268.jpg
    5I9A5268.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 72

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What are your over wintering plans for it? BC from Florida are not reliably hardy according to @rockm . Based on his advice I keep the one Florida native I have in the garage.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Its funny, I brought 4 trees (two BC, one hackberry, and one hornbeam) up from Florida in February of this year and those trees have been the slowest to grow up here in North NJ. They are just now starting to move and leaf out. I was wondering if that was a result of the move. Like they haven't received the warm temperatures they're accustomed and haven't responded to spring like the native trees.I was starting to get worried but I think they're going to be ok. I'm going to let them just grow this season and gain strength.

As I acquired this tree in February, I haven't had a full winter with it. I had it in an unheated sunroom where the temperate stays around 40-45 over the winter. My plan next winter is to bring my "Florida trees" in after the first night of freezing temps. They will stay in my sunroom till mid to late April, like they did this year.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the curve in the lower trunk and taper. I am up to 10 now with 5 in one forest planting to which I plan to add a couple more smaller ones next spring. After Zach Smith ships me my new big boy next spring I think I will stop acquiring BC and move to something a little smalller.

5E31E0FA-6385-4129-9BE9-E3EA6B6DFC0C.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like the curve in the lower trunk and taper. I am up to 10 now with 5 in one forest planting to which I plan to add a couple more smaller ones next spring. After Zach Smith ships me my new big boy next spring I think I will stop acquiring BC and move to something a little smalller.

View attachment 272115

Oof. That looks like so much fun! What a monster!

Here’s my larger one. I only have two. But i also have limited space so it’s all i can handle. 7CAED25B-6B51-457A-B18E-5404ECD63491.jpeg

Top Bottom