I am looking for a 12" round semi cascade pot...preferably in the golden yellow tones I think for this maple of mine

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Been looking...thought to ask here. Maybe one has one they don't plan on using..land might consider selling. Before I look into a custom pot. I still don't take this as a serious bonsai. It's my husband's landscape tree to me. That...I helped recover. But possibly getting it out of the bulb pot is the next step for it.
image.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually I think a dark blue would better complement that leaf color than a yellow. You already have some yellow in the leaves. You don’t want to replicate that color with the pot, you want a pot that contrasts with the yellows and reds to highlight them!

My Ume has pink blossoms, and the blue pot highlighted them:

AB43CB8C-D37C-47DC-A78F-3827A28199C6.jpeg

So, something like that would highlight your pretty fall color as well.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Darlene, of course the choice is yours and you will do by your own taste/aesthetics... But I would say I agree with Adair's thoughts, if I may...
@Adair M this is such a nice pot. Could we please have some more details about it?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene, of course the choice is yours and you will do by your own taste/aesthetics... But I would say I agree with Adair's thoughts, if I may...
@Adair M this is such a nice pot. Could we please have some more details about it?
That pot for the Ume is a really nice pot. Pot experts will be able to identify it immediately, but it’s either antique Japanese or antique Chinese. I’m not suggesting that Darlene get an expensive pot, but it was to show the color, and how it contrasts the bright flowers. In her case, leaves!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Adair M ...I guess I was thinking of the small clump maple in the yellow pot that was over on the tree thread. But I understand your comment as well. Thanks for sharing...and also, yes...my mouth hit the floor when I seen @William N. Valavanis seem interested in this Ryusen maple. My mouth hit the ground...and it is quite an honor to even have one of his weight of merit interested. Though, it's saved yard material to be honest. It had significant dieback years back...and I chose to plant at an angle to allow to cascade over the side of the pot. Nothing spectacular other than the foliage and fall colors . It's in the cold greenhouse and baby it's cold outside. So...I will attach a photo from last year. I've been considering allowing it to become a taller tree. But, if I doing like that direction I will shorten it again. It no longer is staked. But alas...not for sale. You can see without leaf...there is a graft. Though with age...it's honestly not near as bad as it once was. But that you thought it had potential to be something...really was an honor in and of itself Bill. It's my husband's tree you see. It was his favorite from our yard. The look on his face when we thought we had lost it was worth trying to save.

image.jpg

@defra that photo was showcasing it's fall foliage. Here is the angle I usually keep as a front.
image.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M ...I guess I was thinking of the small clump maple in the yellow pot that was over on the tree thread. But I understand your comment as well. Thanks for sharing...and also, yes...my mouth hit the floor when I seen @William N. Valavanis seem interested in this Ryusen maple. My mouth hit the ground...and it is quite an honor to even have one of his weight of merit interested. Though, it's saved yard material to be honest. It had significant dieback years back...and I chose to plant at an angle to allow to cascade over the side of the pot. Nothing spectacular other than the foliage and fall colors . It's in the cold greenhouse and baby it's cold outside. So...I will attach a photo from last year. I've been considering allowing it to become a taller tree. But, if I doing like that direction I will shorten it again. It no longer is staked. But alas...not for sale. You can see without leaf...there is a graft. Though with age...it's honestly not near as bad as it once was. But that you thought it had potential to be something...really was an honor in and of itself Bill. It's my husband's tree you see. It was his favorite from our yard. The look on his face when we thought we had lost it was worth trying to save.

View attachment 219716

@defra that photo was showcasing it's fall foliage. Here is the angle I usually keep as a front.
View attachment 219717
Go back to The Tree Thread, and look at the Chinese Quince BVF posted with the blue pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Adair M that blue is stunning with the quince! But, I also love this pot combo. Only because it was subtle elegant also BVF's tree . Especially since...this maple I never took seriously. So figured nothing extremely shocking to draw more attention to it. I may have to look at it in a new light, now that Bill found it intriguing. (But it may have been because he was thinking it another cultivar.) You guys just finally made me see it needed a nicer pot recently. But...was thinking something less dramatic. Because, well to be dramatic would make more of a statement. And...it's a landscape tree that, I never truly considered a bonsai. I never include it in my headcount of my collection.
image.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M that blue is stunning with the quince! But, I also love this pot combo. Only because it was subtle elegant also BVF's tree . Especially since...this maple I never took seriously. So figured nothing extremely shocking to draw more attention to it. I may have to look at it in a new light, now that Bill found it intriguing. (But it may have been because he was thinking it another cultivar.) You guys just finally made me see it needed a nicer pot recently. But...was thinking something less dramatic. Because, well to be dramatic would make more of a statement. And...it's a landscape tree that, I never truly considered a bonsai. I never include it in my headcount of my collection.
View attachment 219724
I saw this, and it’s very nice.

Except the yellow pot is brighter than the yellow leaves!

When I see this composition, what I immediately think, “wow! That pot matches the leaves!” But, that puts the pot as the center of attention. When, in my opinion, the tree always comes first.

I have a couple shohin olives in bright yellow pots, so it’s not that I don’t like yellow pots! With shohin, everything is exaggerated.

So, that pot you suggested... is it glazed? It didn’t look it.

I’m still diggin’ BVF’s blue pot with his quince!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 219716

View attachment 219717
Ah now i can see the tree !
Nice its different, looks like great species for the weeping willow style :D
As of pot choice yellow could be sweet maybe turquoise will do the trick too
I might have some spare time tonight to do some photoshopping ;)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I saw this, and it’s very nice.

Except the yellow pot is brighter than the yellow leaves!

When I see this composition, what I immediately think, “wow! That pot matches the leaves!” But, that puts the pot as the center of attention. When, in my opinion, the tree always comes first.

I have a couple shohin olives in bright yellow pots, so it’s not that I don’t like yellow pots! With shohin, everything is exaggerated.

So, that pot you suggested... is it glazed? It didn’t look it.

I’m still diggin’ BVF’s blue pot with his quince!
All good points. No, the one I attached I don't believe is glazed. Like I said...I really was thinking of a nicer pot...but one that still wasn't showy. Since...I love the tree, but never really took it serious as a legit piece of bonsai material. I mean, I even pondered just a brown unglazed for it. I will have to chew over...the possibility of a more colorful pot. Thanks Adair...I do appreciate ones taking their time to offer a direction. Since I'm sort of in hibernation mode here...pot hunting is a good thing to pass time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ah now i can see the tree !
Nice its different, looks like great species for the weeping willow style :D
As of pot choice yellow could be sweet maybe turquoise will do the trick too
I might have some spare time tonight to do some photoshopping ;)
You are quite talented with those...this tree is a dream in that it doesn't fight to become an upright tree. It just gracefully weeps. A perk for sure. It would never work for landscape either...they rezoned it since we had those past two freak arctic winters. Many losing this cultivar in our area. Established trees, so this tree...will reside in a pot. Though my husband has tried to convince me to replant it. I am not willing to lose where I've taken it. But...don't lose track of other things that are on your plate right now either. I think...I finally get, this tree deserves a showier pot than I first planned.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Also found this one...but I am not comfortable with the asking price.
View attachment 224273
That looks very "Ya maaki- ish"... large, well made glazed pots like this won't be inexpensive. That's a nice pot.

... and I'd recognize that thumb anywhere!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That looks very "Ya maaki- ish"... large, well made glazed pots like this won't be inexpensive. That's a nice pot.

... and I'd recognize that thumb anywhere!
Right so...I'm just not sure I am willing to put that into this tree. Pot is quality and priced fare...I could easily put it in this...but would feel guilty doing so.
Screenshot_20190122-165744.jpg

In the back of my mind...its my husband's maple tree from the yard. Though Mr. Valavanis himself inquired of it. Should change that outlook to a degree. My little Japan number for the Boston Ivy was close to this piece of high quality...and I never batted an eye. Wrong...so Wrong.

Top Bottom