I am looking for a 12" round semi cascade pot...preferably in the golden yellow tones I think for this maple of mine

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, oddly, the upper branch I originally staked...seemed further along and buds were extending. Ran to Lowe's and in a pinch for a frost free pot. I scavenged moss from other pots. To protect roots from a slight angle change. To keep substrate from washing away. Maybe overkill. But my hubs tree. Base of trunk is 3"...nebari is almost 10". Pot is a frost free I picked up at Lowes. Wished it wasn't as wide. But it hasn't been repotted since collecting. It was not draining well. And buds on upper branch were swelling. Desperate times...calls for desperate measures.
20190306_164927.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene,

It’s not in the center. Always pot in the center of round pots. (At least more centered.)

I know what you’re going to say: “But it wouldn’t fit!”

Yes, it would.

You can completely bare root maples when repotting in spring. And once bare rooted, you can cut back pretty hard.

I taught a repotting class last weekend at Plant City, and cut back the roots on everyone’s trees far more than they ever expected! Lol!

There’s no reason that tree isn’t centered, and there’s no reason it’s mounded as much as it is, especially in a pot that large.

Now, the window for repotting isn’t as tight as you think it is. There was no need to be as desperate as it sounded.

And, my recommendation is to unpost that tree. Bare root it. Wash all the old soil off. Remove crossing roots. Reduce the roots growing straight down. Work with it until it will fit nicely in the center of the pot.

All these things will improve the tree immensely. Even if this pot is WAY too big, taking these steps will help prepare it for a better pot in the future. If you don’t, it just be even harder next time.

Time to pull on your big girl panties, Darlene! Repot that tree right!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know...not blue. But I do love the finish of this pot. Right size...and like the sound shape of it.
View attachment 224272
I like the subtle earthy color with this pot. What I like is that in this pot there is that the small amount of yellow along with the rusty red tones will compliment the tree extremely well during multiple seasons. It’s very grounding....attaching the root color to the pot. The lip and base design are simple and elegant.

It’s not bright like the yellow....and the yellow would add a certain eye catching appeal in your display. And.....really nice....you have choices and time on your side....cool.

At the same time...the earthy tones are grounding, a base....but the yellow, like the leaves of the tree, demonstrates an excitement and laced playful fun. The yellow you think of would highlight and bring out that exciting fun nature of the tree.

I'd........go.......yellow.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene,

It’s not in the center. Always pot in the center of round pots. (At least more centered.)

I know what you’re going to say: “But it wouldn’t fit!”

Yes, it would.

You can completely bare root maples when repotting in spring. And once bare rooted, you can cut back pretty hard.

I taught a repotting class last weekend at Plant City, and cut back the roots on everyone’s trees far more than they ever expected! Lol!

There’s no reason that tree isn’t centered, and there’s no reason it’s mounded as much as it is, especially in a pot that large.

Now, the window for repotting isn’t as tight as you think it is. There was no need to be as desperate as it sounded.

And, my recommendation is to unpost that tree. Bare root it. Wash all the old soil off. Remove crossing roots. Reduce the roots growing straight down. Work with it until it will fit nicely in the center of the pot.

All these things will improve the tree immensely. Even if this pot is WAY too big, taking these steps will help prepare it for a better pot in the future. If you don’t, it just be even harder next time.

Time to pull on your big girl panties, Darlene! Repot that tree right!
It has a thick foot like nebari left of the trunk. Let me remove the moss later and show you what I mean. Soil at rim is 1/4" below it. Should so have got a wider pot? I don't want sawed off roots. My husband would have a cow.

D

Deleted member 21616

still looking for a golden-yellow round 12” cascade pot?

Attachments

• 6CC3FD56-219A-48ED-873C-94C00E2D32E5.png
    6CC3FD56-219A-48ED-873C-94C00E2D32E5.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 20

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, the repot does look better now! Centering and changing the angle slightly is a big improvement I think. I agree it seems to be a rather large pot for the tree as well. But you are getting there. It's a very nice tree and that autumn foliage is amazing!

Top Bottom