I am looking for the cause!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Andy Smith has a couple of pics of old trees with spiral wood on his Golden Arrow Bonsai website, and then many more samples in the deadwood he sells for tanuki. He states that the spiraling typically is conter-clockwise, which is what the example in this thread is. All the pics on his site but one, which he calls out for being unusual, are counter-clockwise.

To me this would rule out any outside influence such as wind which would presumably make them twist either direction randomly. It would seem there is perhaps a genetic component.

I like the theory that it strengthens the trunk.
I wonder if trees south of the equator spiral clockwise.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
We don't get junipers in the wild here. But i will look out for older garden junipers that a aren't exposed to harsh weather.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Andy Smith has a couple of pics of old trees with spiral wood on his Golden Arrow Bonsai website, and then many more samples in the deadwood he sells for tanuki. He states that the spiraling typically is conter-clockwise, which is what the example in this thread is. All the pics on his site but one, which he calls out for being unusual, are counter-clockwise.

To me this would rule out any outside influence such as wind which would presumably make them twist either direction randomly. It would seem there is perhaps a genetic component.

I like the theory that it strengthens the trunk.
According to Dr. Ronald Lanner who wrote the Bristlecone Book being faced with the same argument wrote about it in his book having noticed the same trait in BC's. and environmental influences seem to be ruled out even if it seems to make logical sense. This is something I agree with. First of all it seems that the trees this happens to seem to be architecturally specific in that the roots and the top parts seem to be isolated one to the other. You can observe this happening with trees that are not yet 50 years old, it seems to be genetically influenced. Look at the bark, on a lot of trees you can see the twisted nature in the lines and furrows of the bark. I have noticed this on old dead falls where the bark had rotted off. To me this would rule out any outside influence such as wind which would presumably make them twist either direction randomly. It would seem there is perhaps a genetic component. This quote from above seems to reflect Dr. Lanner's opinion.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to Dr. Ronald Lanner who wrote the Bristlecone Book being faced with the same argument wrote about it in his book having noticed the same trait in BC's. and environmental influences seem to be ruled out even if it seems to make logical sense. This is something I agree with. First of all it seems that the trees this happens to seem to be architecturally specific in that the roots and the top parts seem to be isolated one to the other. You can observe this happening with trees that are not yet 50 years old, it seems to be genetically influenced. Look at the bark, on a lot of trees you can see the twisted nature in the lines and furrows of the bark. I have noticed this on old dead falls where the bark had rotted off. To me this would rule out any outside influence such as wind which would presumably make them twist either direction randomly. It would seem there is perhaps a genetic component. This quote from above seems to reflect Dr. Lanner's opinion.
It may be the cause, because many California juniper living in the same area, does not have twisting trunks!
Bonhe

Top Bottom