JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I own eleven trees. All of them are doing well, prospering, growing, etc. BUT THIS FICUS DEAR GOSH! I only water when it needs, I have made sure it gets good light and not too much, it has been outside for weeks yet continues to lose foliage. I am out of ideas, help me Bonsai Nut, you're my only hope.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Noob, but the first thing I think of is all the times on here people explain that sometimes a tree just needs to get rid of the old foliage. Only other thing that comes to mind is what's considered root bound to a ficus? They're getting a bit thick in there, but I thought ficus liked being root bound a bit.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the leaves being lost are inner leaves and new leaves are growing at the ends of the same stem, then that's perfectly normal as a spring event. As the outside grows, it shades the inner leaves and they become the least efficient and superfluous.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If the leaves being lost are inner leaves and new leaves are growing at the ends of the same stem, then that's perfectly normal as a spring event. As the outside grows, it shades the inner leaves and they become the least efficient and superfluous.
It's been inside and outside leaves sadly

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Isn't spring just starting to pick up for you at 7b? When you put it out a couple weeks ago, was night temp above 50f? Maybe they need time to really start growing when things warms up more? Otherwise it looks fine to me too.

You might want to put some more soil on top. It's lacking a bit.

I would give it as much sun as possible.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Isn't spring just starting to pick up for you at 7b? When you put it out a couple weeks ago, was night temp above 50f? Maybe they need time to really start growing when things warms up more? Otherwise it looks fine to me too.

You might want to put some more soil on top. It's lacking a bit.

I would give it as much sun as possible.
I have not left it outside if the temp dropped below 50f. I check the weather to ensure that. It's been 70's and 80's recently. And yeah I agree it could use more soil. Suggestions on the type? It gets direct sunlight and was acclimated prior.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Since everyone is saying it's healthy, do you guys think it could survive a repot around May or June?

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I own eleven trees. All of them are doing well, prospering, growing, etc. BUT THIS FICUS DEAR GOSH! I only water when it needs, I have made sure it gets good light and not too much, it has been outside for weeks yet continues to lose foliage. I am out of ideas, help me Bonsai Nut, you're my only hope.
Did you move it from inside the house to outside? It may be due to the change, also if you kept a watering schedule for indoors you have to adjust it now that it is outside. I noticed your tree has some figs growing, I have several Ficuses, one is the mother plant and the others are cuttings from it, the weird thing is that just one of the cuttings has ever beared fruit, not even the mother plant has ever done it (it's been with me for a bit more than two years now). The cutting has lots of figs and looks similar to your tree, the inside of the branches barely any leaves and the tips have most of the leaves, the others look more bushy and have leaves everywhere, but I don't think the fruiting cutting looks unhealthy. I'll try to take a few pictures later.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you move it from inside the house to outside? It may be due to the change, also if you kept a watering schedule for indoors you have to adjust it now that it is outside. I noticed your tree has some figs growing, I have several Ficuses, one is the mother plant and the others are cuttings from it, the weird thing is that just one of the cuttings has ever beared fruit, not even the mother plant has ever done it (it's been with me for a bit more than two years now). The cutting has lots of figs and looks similar to your tree, the inside of the branches barely any leaves and the tips have most of the leaves, the others look more bushy and have leaves everywhere, but I don't think the fruiting cutting looks unhealthy. I'll try to take a few pictures later.
"Did you move it from inside the house to outside? It may be due to the change..."
Yes I did
"...also if you kept a watering schedule for indoors you have to adjust it now that it is outside."
I don't keep watering schedules, I stick a chop stick to measure the moisture so I don't over/under water.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
"Did you move it from inside the house to outside? It may be due to the change..."
Yes I did
"...also if you kept a watering schedule for indoors you have to adjust it now that it is outside."
I don't keep watering schedules, I stick a chop stick to measure the moisture so I don't over/under water.
Then It should be good and it will survive a repot around may without problems, but it will loose some if not most of the leaves, be prepared for that. As a reference, I have a 1.5 years cutting that I pruned to no roots about three weeks ago (it's indoors at the moment), it lost all its leaves and is now pushing new growth. Ficuses are tough plants.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Then It should be good and it will survive a repot around may without problems, but it will loose some if not most of the leaves, be prepared for that. As a reference, I have a 1.5 years cutting that I pruned to no roots about three weeks ago (it's indoors at the moment), it lost all its leaves and is now pushing new growth. Ficuses are tough plants.
I was only upset about the tree losing leaves cause I could not find out the reason for it. If it loses leaves cause of repotting that's fine. Appreciate your feed back

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I want to be clear that I'm not recommending to prune to no roots, I did it on a cutting that I was prepared to lose, I just want to illustrate how strong this plant is.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I want to be clear that I'm not recommending to prune to no roots, I did it on a cutting that I was prepared to lose, I just want to illustrate how strong this plant is.
So don't root prune?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine is inside under lights still. When it goes outside it goes into full afternoon sun. Mine doesn't drop it's leaves coming inside or out. I have found I get a longer growing seasons up north by keeping it inside when night temps are below 65F. For instance. People keep their trees out in fall until much colder night temps. (The tree can handle the cooler temps than I allow mine to see. )Then bring them into a warm heated house. They drop leaves when many transition them. When I bring mine in, during fall...it hits another growing spurt to be honest.

I would chalk it up to needing more sun outside. Change in atmosphere from inside to out. Causing the foliage to drop. It happens...

Georgia climate, May or June...is it outside full time? Because you want it acclimated fully when you do the repot. I do mine end of June early July. But I'm further up north. Once my night temps level to 65F at night and its acclimated for some on the bench.

Here's my tigerbark. Good species...very forgiving.

Screenshot_20210414-192803_Gallery.jpg

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine is inside under lights still. When it goes outside it goes into full afternoon sun. Mine doesn't drop it's leaves coming inside or out. I have found I get a longer growing seasons up north by keeping it inside when night temps are below 65F. For instance. People keep their trees out in fall until much colder night temps. (The tree can handle the cooler temps than I allow mine to see. )Then bring them into a warm heated house. They drop leaves when many transition them. When I bring mine in, during fall...it hits another growing spurt to be honest.

I would chalk it up to needing more sun outside. Change in atmosphere from inside to out. Causing the foliage to drop. It happens...

Georgia climate, May or June...is it outside full time? Because you want it acclimated fully when you do the repot. I do mine end of June early July. But I'm further up north. Once my night temps level to 65F at night and its acclimated for some on the bench.

Here's my tigerbark. Good species...very forgiving.

View attachment 368279
It sits in full sun on my back porch which is west facing. It gets direct sunlight for several hours a day.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have made sure it gets good light and not too much, it has been outside for weeks yet continues to lose foliage.
There is no such thing as to much light for this ficus...that's why I asked. It's from the transition is still my guess. Especially if you see colder temps than inside. *Even though it can handle the temps you are allowing it to stay in. It is acclimating to its new environment. It may defoliate to allow new leaves to do a better job in the new environment.

If it doesn't get leggy...it's got adequate light exposure. Looks healthy other than normal leaf drop. Again, mine I don't see this on. Because my tree isn't allowed under 65F by my own choice. As long as they are kept above 40F your golden.

It sits in full sun on my back porch which is west facing. It gets direct sunlight for several hours a day.
Then just allow it to acclimate...and breathe. It's fine.

Top Bottom