JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is no such thing as to much light for this ficus...that's why I asked. It's from the transition is still my guess. Especially if you see colder temps than inside. *Even though it can handle the temps you are allowing it to stay in. It is acclimating to its new environment. It may defoliate to allow new leaves to do a better job in the new environment.

If it doesn't get leggy...it's got adequate light exposure. Looks healthy other than normal leaf drop. Again, mine I don't see this on. Because my tree isn't allowed under 65F by my own choice. As long as they are kept above 40F your golden.

Then just allow it to acclimate...and breathe. It's fine.
Appreciate it

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fact.
Leaves grown inside and outside are completely different.

They shed indoor leaves when they sense outdoors and shed outdoor leaves when they sense indoors.

We can tell when we are indoors or outdoors, even with our eyes closed.

Trees have even better senses for this.

GOD DAMN the 2-step. Resorce.

If we can't see the detriment over the "benefit", we are lost!

Add the detriment to the time with our family and we may as well just ....

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water it more too.

Sorce

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fact.

They shed indoor leaves when they sense outdoors and shed outdoor leaves when they sense indoors.

Sorce
Is the 2-step bad?

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is no such thing as to much light for this ficus...that's why I asked. It's from the transition is still my guess. Especially if you see colder temps than inside. *Even though it can handle the temps you are allowing it to stay in. It is acclimating to its new environment. It may defoliate to allow new leaves to do a better job in the new environment.

If it doesn't get leggy...it's got adequate light exposure. Looks healthy other than normal leaf drop. Again, mine I don't see this on. Because my tree isn't allowed under 65F by my own choice. As long as they are kept above 40F your golden.

Then just allow it to acclimate...and breathe. It's fine.
Thank you, I appreciate this :)

edit: oops I thought my first thanks didn't send. Haha double thanks

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Water it more too.

Sorce
It gets plenty of water, trust me. I run it under the sink head till I see the soil is completely moist and water is draining from the bottom

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fact.

Sorce
What's the 2 Step?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What's the 2 Step?
Taking inside when the night temps are to cold for it...back out on the bench when the day temps warm. I just refuse to do that. I find I do enough two stepping with the trees that are no longer dormant. The tropical stay inside until they can go and stay outside.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fact.

Yes an no?

My ginseng ficus and miracle fruit tree doesn't drop their leaves when moved. Only difference is leaf size. They are UUUGE when indoor.

And yeah I agree it could use more soil. Suggestions on the type?
Looks like original soil could be perlite and pine bark chip. That's what I would use. 50/50

Like cadilactaste, I don't leave mine outside till it reach 50f. I bring mine in when it lowered to around 55f. This year I tried without using 4-4'x2' T5 lights and it grew exactly the same as last year with lights. It's placed in front of south facing bay style window so sun all day. I had to hard prune 3 times this winter.

I'm in the process of ground layering and will separate when weather gets warmer.
20210415_102829.jpg

Last edited:

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Taking inside when the night temps are to cold for it...back out on the bench when the day temps warm. I just refuse to do that. I find I do enough two stepping with the trees that are no longer dormant. The tropical stay inside until they can go and stay outside.
Oh ok. I haven't had to two step luckily. Although the upcoming weather isn't looking promising. Thanks for the tip!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh ok. I haven't had to two step luckily. Although the upcoming weather isn't looking promising. Thanks for the tip!
Welcome...I'm two stepping trees right now that won't fit under the grow lights in the greenhouse. Dormant trees are awake...and my night temps are still to cold. I had a week of being spoiled by Mother Nature and they sat on my bench...an entire week! Now, doesn't look promising until May tenth. We have a chance at snow flurries tonight even. Two stepping is a way of bonsai...Even the southern folk occasionally have to do it.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome...I'm two stepping trees right now that won't fit under the grow lights in the greenhouse. Dormant trees are awake...and my night temps are still to cold. I had a week of being spoiled by Mother Nature and they sat on my bench...an entire week! Now, doesn't look promising until May tenth. We have a chance at snow flurries tonight even. Two stepping is a way of bonsai...Even the southern folk occasionally have to do it.
Yeppers. Not looking forward to moving a handful of trees inside. I know my mom certainly isn't lol (I'm 19 and still live at home)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And the leaves reduce well, this tree is under one foot...
FTB 2021_0317 hard edit.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When you repot you will see some thick roots and you can repot higher, exposing more of them. They will grow over time. Here is the original potting of this tree...
3_Tiger Bark bareroot 032515.JPG

4_Original Roots032515.JPG5_Rooting Hormone after trimming032515.JPG7_Seal Bag keep warm overnight+032515.JPG9_Anchor Trunk arrange roots 032515.JPG210_Pack Soil around roots 032515.JPG212_Some Days Later 032515.JPG217_Banyan is straight as possible 032515.JPG220_Back View 032515.JPG
The attempt to create Banyons by merely burying the ends didn't work, perhaps removing bark from the ends would have worked better. It should work if the proper procedure is followed??

Ken Duncan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the closeup pictures I can see some scale.
this can cause some leaf drop as well as causing weakness in the growth.
I remove all of the leaves on my ficus in the summer this makes the bud back all over and produces more and smaller leaves. They can be leaf pruned up to 3 times in a year.
if this was my tree I prune the branches back by at least 50%.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In the closeup pictures I can see some scale.
this can cause some leaf drop as well as causing weakness in the growth.
I remove all of the leaves on my ficus in the summer this makes the bud back all over and produces more and smaller leaves. They can be leaf pruned up to 3 times in a year.
if this was my tree I prune the branches back by at least 50%.
Mind sending me a screen shot the the scale?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The attempt to create Banyons by merely burying the ends didn't work, perhaps removing bark from the ends would have worked better. It should work if the proper procedure is followed??
Banyan? If so they are aerial roots, you're not going to get them by sticking the tip of the branches into the ground. You need a lot of humidity for aerial roots to develop on their own. You can create them artificially by either making a cut in the branch and inserting it in a tube with soil so the roots grow down into the ground, exposing them as they get thicker (kinda like when you make root over rock or exposed root bonsais), or by approach grafting skinny shoots from the ground into the branches, cutting off the reminder of the shoot once established.

No need to know Spanish, just look at the pictures.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I
Banyan? If so they are aerial roots, you're not going to get them by sticking the tip of the branches into the ground. You need a lot of humidity for aerial roots to develop on their own. You can create them artificially by either making a cut in the branch and inserting it in a tube with soil so the roots grow down into the ground, exposing them as they get thicker (kinda like when you make root over rock or exposed root bonsais), or by approach grafting skinny shoots from the ground into the branches, cutting off the reminder of the shoot once established.
I’ve only been into bonsai for 2 months and this is going way over my head lol

Top Bottom