Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Speaking for us northerners, we ain't got no humidity like Houston, so just trying to increase the humidity with vessels that never go dry like this:
FGM 060219 failed banyan experiment.JPG
...doesn't work because the water just zooms past the tree into the atmosphere when the vessel has an open top and the ambient humidity only rarely exceeds 70%. I can see the bag thing might work even here.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Speaking for us northerners, we ain't got no humidity like Houston, so just trying to increase the humidity with vessels that never go dry like this:
View attachment 368390
Doesn't work because the water just zooms past the tree into the atmosphere when the vessel has an open top. I can see the bag thing might work even here.
I live in Georgia, the humidity averages 30-60%

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai nursery a half-hour down the interstate and more money than sense is a good starting point....... 🤘 🤣🤣🤣🤣

...got rid of it 4-5 years ago....not too long after putting it in a 20+" pot.....

DSC00116 (1).JPG DSC00120 (1).JPG DSC00112.JPG DSC00110 (1).JPG DSC00122 (1).JPG

....same with this one....it's all good until you have to start lugging' these things in/out.....:eek:

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bonsai nursery a half-hour down the interstate and more money than sense is a good starting point....... 🤘 🤣🤣🤣🤣

...got rid of it 4-5 years ago....not too long after putting it in a 20+" pot.....

View attachment 368391 View attachment 368389 View attachment 368392 View attachment 368393 View attachment 368394

....same with this one....it's all good until you have to start lugging' these things in/out.....:eek:
Ok, that's fair. I would love to get a greenhouse at some point to avoid this, but I live with my parents so that's not happening any time soon

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as scale goes, it's a fig, so I just assume their in there!! But the black spots are dried latex from a dropped leaf. Scale usually start out at the growing tips where the juicy bits are. Then spread.....

I prefer a strictly regimented spraying routine of an organic-based product as opposed to a systemic. You can use both. Use appropriate protective equipment when using, organic or not.

I'd like a greenhouse myself, but my kid lives with me.... ;) 😁😁😁😁😁😁 (He's only eight):cool:

Get a Brazilian Raintree if you can!

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As far as scale goes, it's a fig, so I just assume their in there!! But the black spots are dried latex from a dropped leaf. Scale usually start out at the growing tips where the juicy bits are. Then spread.....

I prefer a strictly regimented spraying routine of an organic-based product as opposed to a systemic. You can use both. Use appropriate protective equipment when using, organic or not.

I'd like a greenhouse myself, but my kid lives with me.... ;) 😁😁😁😁😁😁 (He's only eight):cool:

Get a Brazilian Raintree if you can!
I thoroughly checked the tree and did not see any scale. It should be fine, it has been pest-free since I got it. Also, I recently got a large Brazilian rain tree that is still adjusting. Currently dealing with bugs on it so it's not super happy (they keep eating new growth which fortunately I have a lot of coming in).

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
00E4DCBF-28FC-4AB6-9B0A-8C10FE19CBBD.jpeg
Here’s the tree. It sits in front of a south facing window with a grow light

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A lot of people have previously mentioned the condition of the tree, so I'll try to clarify.
I bought it like this. It has some pretty bad deformities in the leaves but everything else is healthy. Getting new growth in and I am unsure why the leaves are still drooping. They have been improving, little by little. Looking forward to seeing the new growth and hopefully during the winter it will drop its leaves so I can really evaluate the canopy + figure out what to do with these crazy branches.

Top Bottom