I bet mines bigger than yours...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

I have to say, I like my title to this thread :).

I've seen caterpillars before, hiding and chewing on my olive leaves, they are very small, less than 3-4cms.

So then today, I see this massive fuck..

IMG_6511.JPG IMG_6512.JPG IMG_6513.JPG IMG_6514.JPG

There's 4 of them on a large bush we have. No where near my trees, luckily.

Identified it as the Privet Hawkmoth, Sphinx Ligustri.
The largest moths in the U.K. Although these not quite moths yet..
Bear in mind, in U.K. We don't tend to have the largest or most dangerous animals so this is huge to me.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We get something like that on tomato plants around here. Big as an average finger. Really cool how the feet hold the branch, as they munch through your crop.
CW

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are full of green goo when you step on one.
Some caterpillars are venomous too. Had a guy at work get stung and had to be hospitalized because he was allergic.
At first I thought yours might have been a Luna moth caterpillar.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello,

I have to say, I like my title to this thread :).

I've seen caterpillars before, hiding and chewing on my olive leaves, they are very small, less than 3-4cms.

So then today, I see this massive fuck..

View attachment 158285 View attachment 158286 View attachment 158287 View attachment 158288

There's 4 of them on a large bush we have. No where near my trees, luckily.

Identified it as the Privet Hawkmoth, Sphinx Ligustri.
The largest moths in the U.K. Although these not quite moths yet..
Bear in mind, in U.K. We don't tend to have the largest or most dangerous animals so this is huge to me.

Get it on the bbq mate. Lovely with a dash of tomato sauce.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Victorim haha nice.

I've seen some remarkable moths here in my part of the U.S. As a kid I thought my state had boring plants and animals because it wasn't Brazil or the Congo. But the more I learn about native amphibians, reptiles, insects, and trees the luckier I feel. Always good to appreciate native anything

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Victorim haha nice.

I've seen some remarkable moths here in my part of the U.S. As a kid I thought my state had boring plants and animals because it wasn't Brazil or the Congo. But the more I learn about native amphibians, reptiles, insects, and trees the luckier I feel. Always good to appreciate native anything

No clue if they taste good.. we'll have to wait for Conor's feedback :p

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are full of green goo when you step on one.
Some caterpillars are venomous too. Had a guy at work get stung and had to be hospitalized because he was allergic.
At first I thought yours might have been a Luna moth caterpillar.
The little hairs on the fuzzy ones are toxic. They're solid little tubes. They can actually penetrate the cornea and get inside the eye that way! I've seen photos of it in a medical journal. Bottom line: Never snuggle with a caterpillar!

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The little hairs on the fuzzy ones are toxic. They're solid little tubes. They can actually penetrate the cornea and get inside the eye that way! I've seen photos of it in a medical journal. Bottom line: Never snuggle with a caterpillar!

Yes anyone who isn't aware, beware the furry pillers. No joke. Can cause all sorts of irritation hell.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes anyone who isn't aware, beware the furry pillers. No joke. Can cause all sorts of irritation hell.

Yes we have had the very long, mostly hair, kind on a large leaf plant of ours. Common sense dictates, don't touch it...

This one is harmless though, no hairs or venom.
The black spike would hurt, but nothing more (from online research).

There are 5 on the plant and they have large black droppings, all over the place... gonna leave them be and hopefully see the cocoons before they become moths and fly away.
As long as they don't spread...

No BBQ... lol

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes we have had the very long, mostly hair, kind on a large leaf plant of ours. Common sense dictates, don't touch it...

This one is harmless though, no hairs or venom.
The black spike would hurt, but nothing more (from online research).

There are 5 on the plant and they have large black droppings, all over the place... gonna leave them be and hopefully see the cocoons before they become moths and fly away.
As long as they don't spread...

No BBQ... lol

Hehe kinder man than me. Pillers go the same way as slugs and snails.. over the fence.

Top Bottom