I bought a Ficus...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Surprising, right?

Well maybe not. I got this guy from a seller who had posted on here that he had acquired some tropical stock. I scanned through the posted pictures and jumped on this Willow Leaf. Here it is a week later, and now in my hands. Great little tree.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
nice trunk, i'd take off the aerial roots, all the branches and repot it into a shallow, wide pot and develop the nebari. thats just me.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
nice trunk, i'd take off the aerial roots, all the branches and repot it into a shallow, wide pot and develop the nebari. thats just me.

Nah, that's too radical, especially for a northern climate where it'll take time to regrow all that. I will repot it into a bulb pan though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The root that crosses the front.....

I would tilt it right till that root is horizontal and ground layer above it for a fat base and a lil lean.

That left root should anchor the image, and the tree.

Diggin the aerials, hard to tell how to incorporate, maybe "holding up" the lean. A harp, to go against a carp! Lol!

Nice.

Sorce

SimonDuval

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ryan, you call VA a northern climate? :) Then I must be living in the arctic!

jaholmes

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great tree -- I've been keeping my eyes open for a Willow Leaf this summer.

One thing to take into consideration for whatever design plan you decide to undertake, the combination of the high aerial roots and mass of foliage located in the top third can quickly cause reverse taper. This has been my experience with a similar ficus.

Best of luck! Thanks for sharing!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ryan, you call VA a northern climate? :) Then I must be living in the arctic!

Well yes, since I have to bring the trees inside for winter.

Great tree -- I've been keeping my eyes open for a Willow Leaf this summer.

One thing to take into consideration for whatever design plan you decide to undertake, the combination of the high aerial roots and mass of foliage located in the top third can quickly cause reverse taper. This has been my experience with a similar ficus.

Best of luck! Thanks for sharing!

Yep, well aware of that. There's a large wound up top that the aerial root is helping to close right now.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it were mine I would repot it at a new angle into a shallow bonsai pot, defoliate and wire it out. Could be super nice in no time. And get rid of the aerial root too. I bought a willow leaf from Seki as well. I'll make a separate thread about it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 44

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If it were mine I would repot it at a new angle into a shallow bonsai pot, defoliate and wire it out. Could be super nice in no time. And get rid of the aerial root too. I bought a willow leaf from Seki as well. I'll make a separate thread about it.

Which aerial are you referring to? The small one or the thicker one?

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I'd remove both, they take away from the rest of the tree and over time they're just going to get worst.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Didn't really pay attention to you living in Virginia.
For me here in Florida, I could regrow all the branching in 2 years, so that is never a radical idea for me; which is kinda making me think about the way climate affects your opinion.
So I can see where you're coming from, but in my opinion, at least the aerials still need to go.

Single trunk, informal upright shouldn't have aerial roots because it makes no sense.
Aerials develop on banyans because of the micro-climate that is created underneath the canopy and the wide branches seeking more nutrients/stability to continue their outward growth.
The upright tree doesn't create that micro-climate and the branches aren't growing out wide enough to seek the support.
Another downfall to these are that they are coming out from the trunk up high which is going to create ugly reverse taper in the part of your tree which is supposed to be the thinnest.
Honestly, I also just think they're ugly on this tree; they pull your eye from the nice trunk, to the ugly aerial roots.
And bonsai is all about making tree's look good, right?

The lowest branch on the left should come off for sure though.
It is a bar branch with the branch and it is on the inside of a curve.
You can wire the right branch and drop it down to the curve in the trunk and it would look very nice.

Defoliate and repot it into a nice shallow, wide pot and keep trucking.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Didn't really pay attention to you living in Virginia.
For me here in Florida, I could regrow all the branching in 2 years, so that is never a radical idea for me; which is kinda making me think about the way climate affects your opinion.
So I can see where you're coming from, but in my opinion, at least the aerials still need to go.

Single trunk, informal upright shouldn't have aerial roots because it makes no sense.
Aerials develop on banyans because of the micro-climate that is created underneath the canopy and the wide branches seeking more nutrients/stability to continue their outward growth.
The upright tree doesn't create that micro-climate and the branches aren't growing out wide enough to seek the support.
Another downfall to these are that they are coming out from the trunk up high which is going to create ugly reverse taper in the part of your tree which is supposed to be the thinnest.
Honestly, I also just think they're ugly on this tree; they pull your eye from the nice trunk, to the ugly aerial roots.
And bonsai is all about making tree's look good, right?

The lowest branch on the left should come off for sure though.
It is a bar branch with the branch and it is on the inside of a curve.
You can wire the right branch and drop it down to the curve in the trunk and it would look very nice.

Defoliate and repot it into a nice shallow, wide pot and keep trucking.

Very well stated. I agree 100%. .....if it were mine that's what I would do. Nice tree.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'll do a virtual when I'm off work tonight at 10:45est and will have it posted by 1:30 am. So you can make a better decision before you just start hacking away tomorrow.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'll do a virtual when I'm off work tonight at 10:45est and will have it posted by 1:30 am. So you can make a better decision before you just start hacking away tomorrow.

I'll just Photoshop one tonight.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here's the virt I created. Looks like a solid plan.
virt.jpg

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
well i got bored and did a real crappy one anyhow for my own amusement

Attachments

• salicaria copy.jpg
    salicaria copy.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom