parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ralf Thanks!

I need a cutting implement to trim down those bolts. That's not an immediate need, so it's… somewhere on my list.

Regarding the wood, I would benefit from replacing the pedestal feet with PT lumber.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I built two mini benches for work stands. They're cute but not deep enough (7.5").
IMG_0824.JPG

Today I picked up some 1x12 lumber to make some work stands. More to come…

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks great enjoy them!!! Best feeling after all that work is putting those trees on there!!!!!!!!!!

I like the layout and how you used the space btw Cheers!

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really enjoyed your posts! I'm looking at your roofing and think you could rig up a rain gutter with rain chain combo!

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oustanding! #2 looks like a Japanese garden shoe in. I took a chance and removed a deck railing and turned it into a bench.
Hope to add more single stands to my back yard this year as well. Yours turned out great.

If you have time/interest please post some pics in the tea room, would be great to see the pond.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No. If I must stare at this every day then I'm going to do it right and with materials and style that bring me joy ;)

Everything looks awesome! Gonna make my planned benches look pretty ghetto by comparison. Lol maybe I'll build better ones once I have trees worthy of them. What kind of pavers did you use for the patio? Do you have any pics of your whole set up? Is that a garden shed under the roof or the back of the house? At any rate, awesome work!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I would recommend getting rid of all your meh material and concentrate on the stuff you really want to keep and put time into. As you progress you going to get better tree's and develop the ones you have. At some point your going to want to reduce some of the saplings and stuff you have. Great benches btw

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Giga that’s my plan. Thanks!

To acquire some JBP, Bristlecone, Mugo, Scots, Western Hemlock, and Douglas-fir seedlings in reasonable quantities and prices I had to purchase them in bulk. Many will go to buyers and mentorship programs through BSOP :)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
@Giga that’s my plan. Thanks!

To acquire some JBP, Bristlecone, Mugo, Scots, Western Hemlock, and Douglas-fir seedlings in reasonable quantities and prices I had to purchase them in bulk. Many will go to buyers and mentorship programs through BSOP :)

If your into seedling that's great and mentorship programs! From a bonsai aspect you'll progress as you learn and won't just get tree's to get them. You'll get more picky with what you pick up and work on, but in a good way if that makes sense.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of pavers did you use for the patio? Do you have any pics of your whole set up? Is that a garden shed under the roof or the back of the house?

Thanks!

My landlord was responsible for the basics of the setup (I’m renting a 750 square foot, 1-bedroom house with a 500 square foot patio). The pavers are 2 feet square and about 2 inches thick. They appear to be a concrete aggregate. The roof provides a shielded patio space along the back of the house.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks!

My landlord was responsible for the basics of the setup (I’m renting a 750 square foot, 1-bedroom house with a 500 square foot patio). The pavers are 2 feet square and about 2 inches thick. They appear to be a concrete aggregate. The roof provides a shielded patio space along the back of the house.

Not bad. Kind of what I thought. You did a great job getting them level by the looks of it, not easy to do.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would recommend getting rid of all your meh material and concentrate on the stuff you really want to keep and put time into. As you progress you going to get better tree's and develop the ones you have. At some point your going to want to reduce some of the saplings and stuff you have. Great benches btw

After deciding to focus on bonsai this spring a lot more in the past this is a conclusion I've reached for myself. It's kind of 2 fold, why waste $ on training a tree I see nothing in that I picked up for whatever reason (it was on sale, I had a poor eye, it was there). Plus if I run into time constraints due to parenting or work I want to work on something that has a future. I guess that being said at this point, the "meh" material is worth it a year or two if nothing else just to reinforce horticultural practices like keeping it alive if that makes sense.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks!

I like the ratio......there is just as much room outdoors as in!!! :cool::D:D

Top Bottom