parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have also added brackets and shelves to my fence as well. Yours seem custom made for that?
I've been tempted to use the fencing as support for shelves. I haven't yet done this. Maaaaybe soon :p

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks. My wife is the master gardener and she wanted a backyard with Japanese undertones ( hence the koi pond and river stone paths ). I thought why not finish the look with bonsai.
Initially for my pond I got half a dozen books to try and design a true Japanese style garden before I realized I didn't want the constraints in my design. Still like the look of them though. I tried for more of a mountain/northwoods look for mine.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Initially for my pond I got half a dozen books to try and design a true Japanese style garden before I realized I didn't want the constraints in my design. Still like the look of them though. I tried for more of a mountain/northwoods look for mine.
The pond is about 2 thousand gallons and was built about 25 years ago. Initially, it was much more formal and reflected the Japanese with the rocks and stone paths and such ( even had a white sand section with large boulders that had to be raked around ). That turned out to be way too much trouble and was converted to flower beds.
These days my wife just works on it till it looks like controlled chaos but its pretty peaceful with a cup of joe in the mornings.
Winter is pretty picturesque as well.
Thanks for your interest. Any photo's of yours?
Leonard

Attachments

• Fishy1022005 001.jpg
    Fishy1022005 001.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Christmas 2012.JPG
    Christmas 2012.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 135

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I've been tempted to use the fencing as support for shelves. I haven't yet done this. Maaaaybe soon :p
I see you have some room between the fence and your benches, why not make hanging shelves the same size and elevate them behind your benches ( lay down patio stones below and use for storage. How sturdy / solid are the fence posts? Might have to shore them up a bit. You might give the shelves front legs that you could anchor the lower benches to?
I think the result would be a two tiered showcase for your stuff ( and double the space you have now to display ). I would love to do the same but 40 tons of stone in the yard make that kind of planning impossible.
Still great looking benches and yard, keep up the good work!
Leonard

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The pond is about 2 thousand gallons and was built about 25 years ago. Initially, it was much more formal and reflected the Japanese with the rocks and stone paths and such ( even had a white sand section with large boulders that had to be raked around ). That turned out to be way too much trouble and was converted to flower beds.
These days my wife just works on it till it looks like controlled chaos but its pretty peaceful with a cup of joe in the mornings.
Winter is pretty picturesque as well.
Thanks for your interest. Any photo's of yours?
Leonard

Lots lol https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/wisconsin-pond-build.7186/

Reaction score
Nice job, but having used pressure treated wood and oiled it every year if I were to make any benches in the future I would use plastic wood rots away too fast with the constant watering or rain in the UK

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice work on the storage organization and benches. Well organized with good access to the trees. Mighty fine!

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Garden update—I built a new fence and gate:

AAD5AD41-AC01-47AE-8C0F-08DC4A8AD25E.jpeg

When I moved in this summer I had to remove a section of fence to get my benches and trees into the yard ?

The existing gate was only 20" wide and falling apart. This new gate is 46" and sturdy.

There’s a little bit of work left to do like installing a lock and slightly adjusting board position. I’m also planning to install some more horizontal members for security and to put fence boards on the backside for aesthetics.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hope everything is moveable for the time when your own property becomes the focus of development. Your effort and planning deserves some permanence. Thanks for the behind the scenes role you played in Rendezvous.

Top Bottom