parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_9789.JPG
IMG_9788.JPG

It's 8 feet long, 12 inches deep, and 18 inches tall. The total material cost was about $75 for this bench, and I have materials for five more benches. Some of the coming benches will be taller and twice as deep. I've intentionally put money into the lumber—select tight knot grade Western redcedar—so they're durable and don't require weatherproofing. I want these benches to develop a weathered color and texture.

I was variously going for a fundamental, natural, elegant, and balanced design. I'm not wild about the feet.

The top is attached with five, six-inch carriage bolts. The frame is attached with four, six-inch lag screws.

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks good, nice wind break too. The feet would appear more balanced if you had placed them parallel with the bench?

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice work. The feet might be less visually imposing if you used 2x6 instead of 2x12.

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome wood working. I agree with the feet being parallel with the bench.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The height of the feet are important only to allow for attachment to the upright posts. I would redo them, ripping the 5/4" x 6" in half (5/4" x 3") and make them a little longer as the bench seems a bit tippy to me. Definitely do not align the feet with the bench top.
Nice simple, clean design otherwise. Good fence too.
CW

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 121069
View attachment 121070

It's 8 feet long, 12 inches deep, and 18 inches tall. The total material cost was about $75 for this bench, and I have materials for five more benches. Some of the coming benches will be taller and twice as deep. I've intentionally put money into the lumber—select tight knot grade Western redcedar—so they're durable and don't require weatherproofing. I want these benches to develop a weathered color and texture.

I was variously going for a fundamental, natural, elegant, and balanced design. I'm not wild about the feet.

The top is attached with five, six-inch carriage bolts. The frame is attached with four, six-inch lag screws.

Nice wood. You may find that the top board will cup on you in dry weather. You could include some horizontal 2x4s across the bottom of the board for future benches if it's a problem. That one will want to curl down at the edges and up in the middle, trees might get rocky. The end grain of a board tells you which way it will cup, curved grain wants to straighten.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice wood. You may find that the top board will cup on you in dry weather. You could include some horizontal 2x4s across the bottom of the board for future benches if it's a problem. That one will want to curl down at the edges and up in the middle, trees might get rocky. The end grain of a board tells you which way it will cup, curved grain wants to straighten.
That's helpful and makes sense. Thanks!

I'll correct that in the next generations.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would put some spacers under your colanders. It will allow them to drain better and make your bench last longer.

true...

I was variously going for a fundamental, natural, elegant, and balanced design.

I have those 3 1/4 x 12 barn timbers and I put bamboo chopsticks under most all of the pots. It adds function allowing air flow underneath and eliminates a lot of critters from parking under them. The stream function on the Dram also makes it easy to blast anything under the pots away.

IMG_0767.JPG

Grimmy

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:confused: WTF!?:p

Looks good!

Will you remake the feet?

Sorce

The 5/4" boards are sized such that they can be finished with a joiner, plane, or mill and come out as a true, 1" dimension.

I will likely just treat this bench as a one-off and make improvements to future generations. If the feet bug me enough then I'll fix em up ;)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bench #2 is done:
IMG_9992.JPG

Approximate costs: $120 in wood and $30 in fasteners. I am still using "select tight knot" redcedar, lag bolts, and carriage bolts. This bench took about five hours in total construction time.

Dimensions: 8' long, 3' tall, and 2' deep.
IMG_9984.JPG

I think I've corrected for some of the oversights in my first bench—this version should be more resistant to cupping and warping. I'm still planning to skip treatment and coatings to let natural weathering take its course.

IMG_9980.JPG IMG_9981.JPG
IMG_9991.JPG

I've left enough space for a lower shelf, which I expect to add in this upcoming week.

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice, clean, but a little expensive. Have you considered a railway wood to use?

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Bench #2 is done:
View attachment 123728

Approximate costs: $120 in wood and $30 in fasteners. I am still using "select tight knot" redcedar, lag bolts, and carriage bolts. This bench took about five hours in total construction time.

Dimensions: 8' long, 3' tall, and 2' deep.
View attachment 123729

I think I've corrected for some of the oversights in my first bench—this version should be more resistant to cupping and warping. I'm still planning to skip treatment and coatings to let natural weathering take its course.

View attachment 123730 View attachment 123732
View attachment 123731

Overkill, I like your style:)

Top Bottom