I cannot find what is this in my Chinese Elm Bonsai, is this black spots?

wiliota

Seed
Reaction score
I am new to the bonsai world.
And I feel like I'm going crazy? because I don't know what's going on with my bonsai.

I haven't found anything like it on the internet and forums.

A little bit of history,

• I've had it for 1 month.
  • It got infected with white bugs, so I treated it with insecticide for flowers and fruit. And the last day I sprayed it with water and dish soap (Fairy).
  • After that, small black spots started to appear on 20% of all leaves, regardless of the type of leaf (new, small, old, large).
  • It has stopped growing, and there is a mix of healthy leaves and others that are getting black spots....

What can I do, what is going on?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20220424_123300.jpg
    20220424_123300.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220426_102641.jpg
    20220426_102641.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220426_102715.jpg
    20220426_102715.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220426_102751.jpg
    20220426_102751.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 47

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am not sure, but your tree looks very healthy from the pics, you have treated it for fungus and bugs, monitor it for now, but don't go to crazy, your taking care of it and elms are pretty tough trees, I am sure it will be fine. Enjoy.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Number 1. Where in the world are you? Where you are has a bearing on what's happening at different times of the year.
From the look of those leaves I'd guess they are older leaves, probably past the use by date so the tree is getting rid of them. were all these yellow leaves right down the bottom of branches?
You've only had the tree for a short time so won't know when it came into leaf or whether it had a dormant period last season. In warmer climates Chinese elm does not always drop leaves for winter but older leaves still wear out and will drop off while new leaves have grown to replace them.
The only other possibility is nutrient problem. Has the tree had fertilizer recently?

@Housguy has already spotted that all the new leaves look great so I don't think there is any real problem with this tree.

wiliota

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you both for your answer and help.

@Shibui:
1. I am from the UK.
2. The bonsai has been nurtured twice in 1 month using Bonsai Focus. That was all.
3. The bonsai had White Bugs and it was treated with insecticide three times ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B096KM53KZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the Dish Soap (Fairy) solution mixed with water.
4. Bonsai has filtered clean water (the same we drink filtered with BRITA water filter systems)

What worries me is the rate of leaf loss and that these black spots appear on any type of leaf. On the small ones that have just emerged or newly grown as well.

Are we sure this is not a fungus?
If you guys say the bonsai is fine, then my worries about a possible fungus will be lessened.

(Attached are pictures of today's leaf's taken off due to blackspots and yellowing)

20220428_122156.jpg
Thank you

Attachments

• 20220428_122636.jpg
    20220428_122636.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220428_122631.jpg
    20220428_122631.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 28

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm having the same issue and also in the UK, have you found a solution to it yet?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From the look of the leaves, I would tend to agree with @Shibui. Those may simply be old interior elm leaves that the tree is dropping as it grows. Is the tree only dropping leaves from the interior - from the bases of shoots - while the exterior and ends of new shoots look healthy?

As elms grow they push very strong elongating growth. If you do not prune this growth, the tree will extend as far as it can, pause, and then push a new phase of growth from tips of the shoots. I can get three pushes of growth per season from healthy strong elm trees, and the growth can sometimes exceed 24" even with a small tree. As the elm is growing in this aggressive fashion, it will regularly drop interior leaves - even in the midst of the summer.

Of course, a lot depends on what you are planning on doing with your elm. In early stages of development, when you are seeking trunk caliper or are healing aggressive pruning wounds, let the growth run. However if you are in a refinement / ramification stage, you need to prune this growth before it spoils your tree design.

Top Bottom