I can't Prunus and so can you

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you just received it you'll want to consider the zone it came from in your care. If it came from a warmer zone you may need to baby it the first year even if it's hardyto your zone because it's natural cycle may be off.

I just moved a zone colder and some of my early trees were already leafing out in the warmer zone...but weren't able to go back a month in time to handle the colder region. I lost some seedlings that normally would have survived by freezing off their new growth :(

Whether what you have is frost damage or not, you might consider stepping it inside for the night if temps dip below freezing just for this spring. Assuming the tree is hardy to your zone, it will sync up and should be fine to leave out full time after the growing season.

Ranitomeya

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b6
I will absolutely do that @LittleDingus, thank you for dropping some knowledge on me. Sorry to hear about your seedlings!

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I’d second what LittleDingus is saying. I picked up one of these in early March from Bill Valavanis’ web site. He’s near Rochester NY which is similar enough to my locale in Maine that it worked out well. The tree was still mostly dormant when I got it. The first flowers popped a couple weeks ago and I’ve only just started having leaf buds open.

With yours being already fully leafed out it would seem like it was in a much warmer zone and or it was in a greenhouse perhaps. It will probably settle in as you warm up out there in the mountains.

FWIW I was putting my Kojo no Mai in the garage when it was below mid 20°s

Top Bottom