I collected a Pinus halepensis a moment ago. Any recommendations as to how to proceed now?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not knowing where you live makes it hard to say.
But I might have waited until spring.
All you can do now is hope it pulls through the winter.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Not knowing where you live makes it hard to say.
But I might have waited until spring.
All you can do now is hope it pulls through the winter.
Spain. It's still quite warm here and decidious trees still have their foliage.

I read on this forum that some think early autumn is better than spring for pine collecting.

So I just add some potting soil and water it?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
otting soil and water it?
If you don't have suitable aggregate potting soil will do in a pinch.
Get it into some sort of container and water it thoroughly. Pur it in the shade and keep an eye on it.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you don't have suitable aggregate potting soil will do in a pinch.
Get it into some sort of container and water it thoroughly. Pur it in the shade and keep an eye on it.
I have a mix of porous fired clays and volcanic earths and I also have chipped pine bark, and a mix of chipped pine bark and perlite.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a mix of porous fired clays and volcanic earths and I also have chipped pine bark, and a mix of chipped pine bark and perlite.
Just back fill for now. Don't mess with the roots anymore.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It has started growing new leaves! :p

I have quite a crazy project in mind for this tree. Something with a huge rock involved.

But I'll have to wait some years. First I need to put it in a bonsai pot.

When should I start pruning roots?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No te acerques a las raices por uno o dos años. Ahora, fertilizalo bien y regularmente, dale sol y agua. Tiene que recuperarse y fortalecerse antes de que puedas aplicarle ninguna tecnica de bonsai. Usualmente, a un yamadori uno no lo toca en dos o tres años

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No te acerques a las raices por uno o dos años. Ahora, fertilizalo bien y regularmente, dale sol y agua. Tiene que recuperarse y fortalecerse antes de que puedas aplicarle ninguna tecnica de bonsai. Usualmente, a un yamadori uno no lo toca en dos o tres años

Thanks! I've fertilized it for the first time today. Let's see how it responds.

I already imagined roots couldn't be pruned yet, but I have to admit I'm impatient.

Btw, I think you should write in English as it is the language of this website.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Btw, I think you should write in English as it is the language of this website.

It's no big deal if people write in a different language - particularly if they are trying to express a difficult concept and English is not their native tongue. I fully anticipate that within the next decade we will have real-time language translators that work perfectly - and language classes will be a thing of the past. Though I could read his Spanish (due to Spanish language classes), it is easy enough to drop the text into Google translate and come up with:

"Do not go near the roots for one or two years. Now, fertilize it well and regularly, give it sun and water. You have to recover and strengthen yourself before you can apply any bonsai technique. Usually, one does not touch a yamadori in two or three years"

Not perfect... but close enough to give you a good idea of what was said :)

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's no big deal if people write in a different language - particularly if they are trying to express a difficult concept and English is not their native tongue. I fully anticipate that within the next decade we will have real-time language translators that work perfectly - and language classes will be a thing of the past. Though I could read his Spanish (due to Spanish language classes), it is easy enough to drop the text into Google translate and come up with:

"Do not go near the roots for one or two years. Now, fertilize it well and regularly, give it sun and water. You have to recover and strengthen yourself before you can apply any bonsai technique. Usually, one does not touch a yamadori in two or three years"

Not perfect... but close enough to give you a good idea of what was said :)

Ok, I'm not discussing the top admin's rules but I still think anybody should post in the language of the forum (this one or any other). I think it's the poster who should do the translation (with Google or whatever) and not the reader.

But true: no big deal.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok, I'm not discussing the top admin's rules but I still think anybody should post in the language of the forum (this one or any other). I think it's the poster who should do the translation (with Google or whatever) and not the reader.

But true: no big deal.
No te vuelvo a ofrecer consejo. Let me reiterate, now in English: I won't offer you my advice again. I only did it because yoy said you were in Spain and, in mt experience, Spanish people have zero talent for languages

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No te vuelvo a ofrecer consejo. Let me reiterate, now in English: I won't offer you my advice again. I only did it because yoy said you were in Spain and, in mt experience, Spanish people have zero talent for languages

As you wish but just note if I didn't understand English I wouldn't be here. I didn't intend to offend anybody.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
All clear now, bonsai friends :)
Let us not create dummy problems.
Every aspect, every opinion, every suggestion are welcome and given consideration... in my opinion at least... :)
... ...First I need to put it in a bonsai pot.
If I may suggest you should not be in a haste about this.

Last edited:

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Didn't see the Google Translate version in post #11. I use GT pretty regularly. It's an amazingly handy tool as our world shrinks in terms of our reach into other cultures.

Last edited:

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If I may suggest you should not be in a haste about this.

No worries. I can wait as long as is necessary and in no way was I thinking of touching the roots before next spring, but I was wishing I could do it then :p

No problem, I can touch the branches in the meanwhile. I think I'll wire them.

Top Bottom