I couldn't help myself....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I got off work a little early today......
Somehow, I found myself at the local depot.....scanning the new shipment of landscape plants.... sssshhhhh, don't tell my wife, she'll never know, and when it blooms eventually, she'll love it!....
Anyway, scooped up a Girard's Purple...
After looking at pics of the blooms on my Girard's Crimson and this Girard's Purple, I'm beginning to think that Mr. Girard may be color blind....(they're all pink :eek:, although I am yet to see the blooms on mine personally).
So here's the damage....
IMAG2935.jpg IMAG2937.jpg IMAG2938.jpg IMAG2939.jpg IMAG2942.jpg
I ended up removing that top left trunk, as well....
Took a whole bunch of roots too...... we'll see..... finger's crossed.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow...that's a lot of work done! Wish you success...not sure I would have tossed it into a bonsai pot that small. What size is the pot? Maybe it's larger than what I'm mentally visualizing.
It's 9" x 6.5" and 2.5" deep....
And you're totally right, it should be in a larger plastic trainer....but I didn't have anything else ready at the time...
And the nursery pot had a big crack in the bottom.... I guess I could have taped it up and used it, but this pot was sitting there, clean, with screens already wired in it....
Just used it....
And the roots do have a good amount of space to grow in there.....
I need to get more big plastic trainer pots....

mrt1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice. I'm a big fan of Depot stock. Be sure to post pics summer, fall, next year....;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm personally fairly new to bonsai!! So definatly not an expert but I got this about a year ago next month! I think you did a good job with the trunk of yours. I didn't go to hard downsizing from the nursery pot to what it is in now but I got good growth out of a year!! Good luck on yours!!

Attachments

• IMG_0638.PNG
    IMG_0638.PNG
    217.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 28

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm personally fairly new to bonsai!! So definatly not an expert but I got this about a year ago next month! I think you did a good job with the trunk of yours. I didn't go to hard downsizing from the nursery pot to what it is in now but I got good growth out of a year!! Good luck on yours!!
I did 6 like this last year....they all grew back, but by fall only 2 had survived....
From what I see and read, that's a pretty bad ratio so far... but I tried again.
And that's awesome, BTW!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's 9" x 6.5" and 2.5" deep....
And you're totally right, it should be in a larger plastic trainer....but I didn't have anything else ready at the time...
And the nursery pot had a big crack in the bottom.... I guess I could have taped it up and used it, but this pot was sitting there, clean, with screens already wired in it....
Just used it....
And the roots do have a good amount of space to grow in there.....
I need to get more big plastic trainer pots....
I think I would have just bought a more appropriate pot while buying the tree. But I do wish you luck. It seems drastic...but maybe the bonsai gods will look down on you.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think I would have just bought a more appropriate pot while buying the tree. But I do wish you luck. It seems drastic...but maybe the bonsai gods will look down on you.
The other 2 that I have got this same treatment, and thrived... I have seen many do fine with this type of torture....
And I have also lost a few....so I will definitely keep you updated....
And, hey, thanks again for that book recommendation. It's great, I love it!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The other 2 that I have got this same treatment, and thrived... I have seen many do fine with this type of torture....
And I have also lost a few....so I will definitely keep you updated....
And, hey, thanks again for that book recommendation. It's great, I love it!
Well...I feel better knowing you have had success with manhandling and having bonsai gods offering you favor.

Hey, your welcome on the book recommendation. One of my first I grab out of an entire library collection of books.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice !
i have done about the same with two azaleas, looking at your card makes me think they are the same cultivars but mines called george arends ah well i hope i see some buds popping soon cus i hit the roots prety hard :eek:

Top Bottom