I.D. HELP?!? Elm?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My landlord brought me outside and asked me if I want to look at a plant for bonsai that she found in the garden. It is growing under some type of cherry tree but the leaves are different. They look elm-like. There is an American elm growing about 20 yards from this spot but I don't know if a seedling made it that far. Any thought are much appreciated as always!! Thanks!! image.jpgimage.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know they found a wheelbarrow about a quarter mile from where these recent tornados were?

A wheelbarrow! And some other stuff.

The wind is a powerful force!

Sure is elm! Plant it in a............

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Into a pond basket it goes! Thanks Sorce! Does this qualify for your seELMfie contest ? Lmao!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Judy, thanks for putting me on to that book! Just got it in a few days ago and havnt put it down! Really great stuff in there!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rock on Zac.

I brought one home a couple years ago busted like that, it healed over and shot up 4ft last year in a 4in pot.

I'd cut that dead stump back a little and let it go, come mid summer, you'll end up dulling your shears by fall!

He\She who is brave enough to Selmfie, will have a great tree!

Sorce

P.s. You can completely swap out your tree in the Selmfie, or enter more, and still win.

Its a throw 22 ™.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks like the little guy already has a couple chops under his belt!
Yea she said she's "tried to kill it" in the past lol I already dug it up, the long tap root was like 20" long! It took way longer to dig up then I thought it would Cuz I didn't want to butcher the feeders too much. I did lose a few but I'm hoping it will recover. It had some nice movement below the soil. The plan is to let it grow as a stub and hopefully when I repot I can remove some of the upper roots and raise it up to expose some of that movement and gain a couple Inches. It's in a 10" pond basket so I'm hoping it will do ok this growing season!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The best book I know of, it's got the simple title of "Bonsai" the author is Deborah R. Koreshoff. Great book to learn wiring or any basic bonsai technique. And some advanced things as well.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, I actually have that book. I should probably start to use it more. Thanks.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea she said she's "tried to kill it" in the past lol I already dug it up, the long tap root was like 20" long! It took way longer to dig up then I thought it would Cuz I didn't want to butcher the feeders too much. I did lose a few but I'm hoping it will recover. It had some nice movement below the soil. The plan is to let it grow as a stub and hopefully when I repot I can remove some of the upper roots and raise it up to expose some of that movement and gain a couple Inches. It's in a 10" pond basket so I'm hoping it will do ok this growing season!

You'll find that some of these trees have tap roots that have better movement than the triuk. You can dig down to use that. Like this one. It was cut off at the surface a couple times. It's mostly root.

Attachments

• IMG_20140617_153155_171.jpg
    IMG_20140617_153155_171.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 15

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zac.

Soil type? Pics?

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ok I lied its about 70% bonsai soil and the rest is a light,well draining potting mix for cuttings. Here are the pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 11

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good Zac.