I.D. my tree and help me care for it!

Shagbark

Seed
Reaction score
Received this incredible gift and read a few care guides online. So far it's not happy, dropping pedals like crazy! If I knew what it was I could do better research any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_170835.jpg
    IMG_20170513_170835.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 58

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a bougainvillea, and they have petals. They are a pretty tough vine. I have no idea where you live or where you have the tree, if you are watering it or just watching it die????

Shagbark

Seed
Reaction score
I've had it 7 days and watered it about 4 times I check the soil for moisture by finger daily. I live in Massachusetts and keep the tree indoors, it's been on a shelf where I grow some other things, I live in a chalet A frame house, the back of it has 7 very large windows it almost all glass. The shelf is about 12ft from the glass end of my house but it's 3 stories of window and cathedral ceilings so most things grow fine. I put it outside this morning because it was about 60 degrees with soft rain, when I brought it in I put it on a chair much closer too the windows. What can I do better?

EDIT: thank you for the identification my initial Googling is suggesting that maybe I've been watering it too much, the person who gifted it to me give me a little book they said went with it. The book said it was tropical bonsai and that I should water it everyday by soaking its roots in the sink, it didn't look like the picture and it didn't sound right to me that's how I ended up here

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love the golden ones, I have one that is supposed to be gold but it hasn't bloomed yet. Actually, it doesn't have any leaves and hasn't for at least 2 months. I got it for free from work that a customer almost killed. It is just now putting out new growth, so yeah I would say they're pretty tough.

Not sure if you meant it's dropping flower petals or leaves, if it's flowers that's probably pretty normal as the flowers age. It could be normal for tropicals to drop foliage when you get them home. Depending on the growing conditions where they were purchased and the conditions in their new home, there will always be an acclimation period as the plant is adjusting to its new home and that might mean dropping leaves.

I do see some discoloration on the leaves, but I'm not going to try attempting to ID a bougie problem... Maybe someone else will chime in.

Good luck!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had it 7 days and watered it about 4 times I check the soil for moisture by finger daily. I live in Massachusetts and keep the tree indoors, it's been on a shelf where I grow some other things, I live in a chalet A frame house, the back of it has 7 very large windows it almost all glass. The shelf is about 12ft from the glass end of my house but it's 3 stories of window and cathedral ceilings so most things grow fine. I put it outside this morning because it was about 60 degrees with soft rain, when I brought it in I put it on a chair much closer too the windows. What can I do better?

EDIT: thank you for the identification my initial Googling is suggesting that maybe I've been watering it too much, the person who gifted it to me give me a little book they said went with it. The book said it was tropical bonsai and that I should water it everyday by soaking its roots in the sink, it didn't look like the picture and it didn't sound right to me that's how I ended up here
If one wanted to find a Boug. growing naturally, where would one look?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Shagbark where do you live? And I'm not going to mess with Al's thought process... a voyage of intellectual self-discovery!

I will just say that the "petals" that are dropping like crazy aren't petals at all... but it is not necessarily a cause for alarm. I have bougainvillea all over my landscaping and when they are done blooming it is like sugar maple leaves in Wisconsin in the Fall!

Welcome to the site!

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bougies are tough, we had one on the farm in South Africa, didn't plant it, just found it there. We never watered it because our hose couldn't reach, and it got frequent pruning by method of cattle grazing. they would chew that thing to the ground and it would just pick itself up straight afterward.

Shagbark

Seed
Reaction score
Shagbark where do you live? And I'm not going to mess with Al's thought process... a voyage of intellectual self-discovery!

I will just say that the "petals" that are dropping like crazy aren't petals at all... but it is not necessarily a cause for alarm. I have bougainvillea all over my landscaping and when they are done blooming it is like sugar maple leaves in Wisconsin in the Fall!

Welcome to the site!

Massachusetts, the golden leaves are falling there are not currently any flowers. It came from a nursery so maybe it just needs to adjust a bit more. I'm going to slow down the waterings and keep an eye on it for another week

Heartagramtc

Seedling
Reaction score
Uh, the golden "leaves" aren't leaves, they are the flowers. And yes they will drop, also it's been suggested that you put it outside.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Massachusetts, the golden leaves are falling there are not currently any flowers.

As Greg said in post #7 they are not petals. They would seem to be but are actually the Flora and do drop after some time.

That type plant is normally taken from cutting off of mature stock. The cuttings are hardened of "tip" cuttings and are the part of the plant that produces the colorful flora.

There should be some green leaf either growing underneath all of that or starting to bud from the branches below those. Later after flora is gone those branches will show green as well.

Don't do anything different at this point, it seems to be normal.

When the temperatures hit 60F at night it must go outside in the sun. It will like to be damp but never wet or dried out. When it does go out after a week give it a balanced fertilizer as the nitrogen will help a lot to promote actual leaf.

There is more but that will get the plant and you happy for now ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom