I.D. Please?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A buddy from the local club gave me these two trees a few years ago. He pulled them from an abandoned lot I believe (thx Tommy) but never gave me any sort of ID. I thought they were some sort of euonymous until yesterday when I noticed some fruit delicious looking fruits had appeared. This is the first time it's put out fruit, most likely because I have been cutting it back so hard. I'm rambling. Anyone have an I.D.?

Thank you, kindly and in advance.

BIMG_20170913_175531.jpg IMG_20170913_175622.jpg IMG_20170913_175738.jpg

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those are Euonymous stolenus var. misdemeanorus

Son of a... I googled it. You got me on that one. :)

Let's not get into the morality thing. Quite frankly, I don't give a damn. That property was destroyed for parking spaces. Got some elms out of the deal as well.

Cheers,

B

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Euonymous calidus

hmm. it does look close. Not too many matching pictures online. Haven't seen any flowers with the fruit but I reckon strong winds may have removed them. I'm glad the euonymous tag is being repeated though. This doesnt' turn red at all when it gets cold btw. And it's not variegated as google suggested. But I can go with just eunonymous. I'd imagine the care would be similar.

Planning to plant these 3 together in the spring.

Cheers,
B

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it has fruit what colour, size, shape were the flowers?

Never had any flowers to speak of. It may have been due to a few storms though. It popped these fruits on the back of the tree so I didn't notice them until y'day when I was looking for bugs.

Cheers,
B

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This spring, my euonymous had some VERY small flowers. So small that I had to really look and confirm that they were, in fact, flowers. If it were huddled together with many other pots, and I just hosed it down from a distance every day, I would not have noticed them.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A buddy from the local club gave me these two trees a few years ago. He pulled them from an abandoned lot I believe (thx Tommy) but never gave me any sort of ID. I thought they were some sort of euonymous until yesterday when I noticed some fruit delicious looking fruits had appeared. This is the first time it's put out fruit, most likely because I have been cutting it back so hard. I'm rambling. Anyone have an I.D.?

Thank you, kindly and in advance.

BView attachment 160699 View attachment 160700 View attachment 160701

Hey B, Are you a member of the Richmond club? I'm a member but have only been to a couple meetings (Need to go more often).

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey @berobinson82!!!! How's it going???

That's just plain old burning bush (alatus), I remember a customer came in the greenhouse with a sample that had berries and it took me a little bit to figure it out, never had seen the berries before. The birds usually eat them up fast, that's why they pop up everywhere...

I've seen some volunteers with pretty crappy fall color, not sure if it's cause of genetics, light exposure, wind exposure, or soil moisture...

Nice trees though!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The newer the Bush the better the color.

Seems they been breeding em for it.

The older ones have way smaller leaves, better bark, better growth habit.....smaller flowers. .......

IMOO

Sorce

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The newer the Bush the better the color.

Seems they been breeding em for it.

The older ones have way smaller leaves, better bark, better growth habit.....smaller flowers. .......

IMOO

Sorce

Does everything have to be a seedy euphemism with you??

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey @berobinson82!!!! How's it going???

That's just plain old burning bush (alatus), I remember a customer came in the greenhouse with a sample that had berries and it took me a little bit to figure it out, never had seen the berries before. The birds usually eat them up fast, that's why they pop up everywhere...

I've seen some volunteers with pretty crappy fall color, not sure if it's cause of genetics, light exposure, wind exposure, or soil moisture...

Nice trees though!

Hey man. 'Plain ol' is fine by me really. This was free and it takes almost no maintenance. I wonder if they are sweet berries. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
B

Top Bottom