I D Please

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One of the problems with ivy is the leaves are quite variable. There can be a range of leaf shapes on a single plant and they also have different juvenile and adult foliage.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the problems with ivy is the leaves are quite variable. There can be a range of leaf shapes on a single plant and they also have different juvenile and adult foliage.
The tree as you see it, has been that way since my wife started with cancer, that was in 2013. It doesn't lose leaves. every once and a while it will have a leaf turn yellow, and I take it off. The tree has been on my bench since 2017 winter summer fall and spring, never changes.

I would say it has adult foliage, and I have never seen any variability. I'm not saying they don't, just saying this one doesn't.

Lets look at the leaves again. They all look the same. I spent about half and hour rubbing the leaves to take off the calcium deposits, thats how old the leaves are. You can see the calcium in the closeups.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would say it has adult foliage, and I have never seen any variability. I'm not saying they don't, just saying this one doesn't.
The lobed leaves of ivy are juvenile. They are usually quite old by the time adult leaves appear and flowering starts. Most people have never seen adult ivy foliage or do not recognise it when they do see. In a pot it may well retain juvenile leaves for ever.
If you don't need to prune much it could be one of the dwarf cultivars but possibly just held back by the limited space in the container.
Lets look at the leaves again. They all look the same.
You are obviously much closer and can see them better but are there a few leaves with additional lobes? May just be my old eyes but looks like a few leaves near the top with extra points on the side lobes shaped like JM leaves.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The lobed leaves of ivy are juvenile. They are usually quite old by the time adult leaves appear and flowering starts. Most people have never seen adult ivy foliage or do not recognise it when they do see. In a pot it may well retain juvenile leaves for ever.
If you don't need to prune much it could be one of the dwarf cultivars but possibly just held back by the limited space in the container.

You are obviously much closer and can see them better but are there a few leaves with additional lobes? May just be my old eyes but looks like a few leaves near the top with extra points on the side lobes shaped like JM leaves.
I have noticed that many of the pictures I see have five lobes, this plant does not. All the leaves look like trident maple.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rare poison Ivy Foeminao_O.
I don't know about poison ivy, but I am immune to poison oak and black widows. been bitten three times, get a red puff like a mosquito bite and goes away in a couple days. Now stung by a wasp, thats a different matter

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This reminds me of one that I used to like a lot called needlepoint. Yours has had more light and better care than any of those I have seen.
To complicate things further there are different kinds of “needlepoint” ivy.
Look up needlepoint ivy 3 lobe- you may find it there.
12839289-485B-4A3B-8250-316E6D9319B3.jpeg8DC56137-7EC1-48CE-9DA5-60E799FE3A5E.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is reported that there is 400 varieties of an ivy called kings choice.
It is a needlepoint ivy that I love.
Yours may truly be very rare. Start lots of cuttings :)

JacobL'etoile

Seedling
Reaction score
Your local extension office may offer plant identification for a fee. I know my weed guy here would probably do it for me, even though it's not really a weed. You may try contacting them.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Here’s a photo of my friend’s. It appears to be different.

Attachments

• 39719DD2-D318-4F12-9762-AB410233994C.jpeg
    39719DD2-D318-4F12-9762-AB410233994C.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 45

Noodles

Seedling
Reaction score
bit late to the party but it's a herdera helix "needlepoint". I'm growing one as a bonsai but i fear it will never thicken as vines tend to be tricky already on top of the fact that i tried to make it look like a tree far too early, back when i was a noob (i'm still a noob mind you 😅)

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bet these people will know. You got to remember there is a
group for anything and everything in the gardening world.
Yes, even IVY.
Looks like what was marketed as "Needlepoint" back in the day.
Will hold an eternity in a pot. BUT plant it in the ground and it
would revert to "standard old fashioned yard ivy" so fast you'd
have thought it took the A-train.

Top Bottom