I didn't like Ryan Neil too much. But then...

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have watched many videos online.
Most of the time Bjorn's personality (to me) came out as more calm, less emphatic, a bit more didactic than that of Ryan's. I am not comparing anything drastic here, as both are accomplished and successful bonsai professionals and I do respect both equally, but Ryan always seemed less human, in the sense his knowledge was always apparently absolute.
Usually he talks too fast, too much, too self aware of being the master.
But then, being at home worrying about social distancing and having nothing better to do, I've started to watch the new free series from Mirai where Ryan teaches and guides a new apprentice , Josh, and boy, he is fun! Totally changed my not so flattering impression about him being unreachable. He laughs!
So, I am ashamed to say we get wrong impressions online. Internet is dangerous.

I leave a link below to the last episode, very funny and true.
Enjoy!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Lol, i think folks need to focus less on personality traits and more on quality of content.
be grateful guys like Ryan, Bjorn and even Chan do what they so.
Nobody is perfect.

But I am grateful!
And I don't expect anyone being perfect, of course.
I thought it was clear from my text above that yes, it's my fault if I get the wrong impression about anyone I don't know, and I am ashamed of it.
But there are people that I like and people I dislike.
Nobody is perfect.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a really good video. I learn from interaction where why something is done is discussed, with some humor because I laugh a lot when I’m working, and then just have a grin when the plan takes different turns...sometimes even successful....just like me.

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I honestly thought this way as well. I felt Ryan wasn't approachable and just... *too much*... But honestly getting to know him in person and through his videos online, with his personality and his style, he is the exact opposite. Couldn't be more kind and generous with his time and his knowledge and will be straight up about what he knows and what he doesn't. We can all learn from each other from time to time- Arguably the "Master" gets more from an apprentice than the other way around- if they are open to it. On another note, he's the hardest working bonsai artist, I've seen. He does mean what he says- he is trying to elevate "American Bonasi"... I agree with a lot of his choices and others I don't, but I can tell you, in person he welcomes the conversation.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think if you ignore someones content simply because you dont like the way they talk or their attitude, you are actually doing yourself a disservice and limiting your knowledge, thus impacting on the quality of your own bonsai as i think they all have something to offer.

Last edited:

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ryan has been doing a “Mondays at Mirai” video the last several months. This a short one. It’s kind of a behind the scenes or every day life sort of thing. They show he is very approachable and a regular guy just like everyone else with a lot of drive and motivation.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Funny, that video came across in a different way to me. I've always had difficulty with Ryan's personality and in this video he came across as more pretentious than usual. I'd be surprised if the beginner in the video ever becomes an expert, because Ryan has made him nervous by questioning everything he does. Much better I think to go at it, make the mistakes yourself and learn from them that way. I'm not saying that some expert guidance won't help as well but I don't think that having someone watching and criticising everything you do, and laughing at it, is a good teaching method!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Clicio do you listen to the asymmetry podcast? I felt a lot of the same things until I started listening to the Mirai podcast. He interviews so many different creative professionals not just in the bonsai world. He is genuinely curious about there experiences and thoughts of the world, and does a great job engaging the interviewy with great questions and content.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Clicio do you listen to the asymmetry podcast? I felt a lot of the same things until I started listening to the Mirai podcast. He interviews so many different creative professionals not just in the bonsai world. He is genuinely curious about there experiences and thoughts of the world, and does a great job engaging the interviewy with great questions and content.
Plus, the guy in the beginners series videos works at mirai. So it’s all love between the two of them, and I certainly don’t expect him to attempt to be a bonsai professional in his own right.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I chuckled at the
"crazy Monday" line at the beginning.

Come in to the foundry on a Monday...crazy is a wet ingot tossed into the furnace....ka-BOOM.
Weeding pea-gravel seems, well, kind of relaxing, comparatively. 😆

Seems weird to put all these hardy trees undercover at the first frost/freeze?🤔

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I've started to watch the new free series from Mirai where Ryan teaches and guides a new apprentice , Josh, and boy, he is fun! Totally changed my not so flattering impression about him being unreachable. He laughs!
So, I am ashamed to say we get wrong impressions online. Internet is dangerous.
Ryan maybe isn't (or doesn't look) as cool as Bjorn but he really enjoy his life of Bonsai Pro. His passion is highly communicative to me (i'm a member of Mirai). He loves every tree he works on. It is spectacular.
He maybe seems too serious, I believe he thinks about Bonsai 100% of the time , and probably he dreams of Bonsai too ^^ . That's why he can talk about a tree or a concept two hours long, without any notes. he also has a very good understanding of plant's biology.

I advise anybody here who wants to progress in Bonsai, who has enough free time to watch videos, and who can pay the membership to become a member. Hands up for Bjorn who makes good youtube video for free too. But, the Ryan videos are more "rich" and informative to me. It's good to take notes on the interesting things that Ryan says, because, after a few days, we forget what we learned.

Top Bottom