I don't like yew.

Reaction score
I dug this one up in spring 2015. The front of the tree was chosen by Will Baddeley on a carving workshop at yannick kiggen place. Last summer this stupid yew broke my tool. 1-0 for yew. In oktober i gave it its first styling, almost all the branches are in the wright spot. This season is Grow Grow Grow.
IMG_4850.JPG IMG_6454.JPG IMG_7696.JPG IMG_7299.JPG
What would you guy's do with those pop eye's (i call them that)?
IMG_7336.JPG

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Reading your post I wanted to say "do not say your concave cutters were broken" ;) Then I saw the picture... Same experiences, the wood is really hard.
Otherwise I like your yew.

Reaction score
I dug this one up in spring 2015. The front of the tree was chosen by Will Baddeley on a carving workshop at yannick kiggen place. Last summer this stupid yew broke my tool. 1-0 for yew. In oktober i gave it its first styling, almost all the branches are in the wright spot. This season is Grow Grow Grow.
View attachment 173189 View attachment 173190 View attachment 173191 View attachment 173192
What would you guy's do with those pop eye's (i call them that)?
View attachment 173193
use a rotary tool and make an old wound maybe

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work you have going on there! I have been collecting a lot of Yew (T. brevifolia) and even the roots are extremely hard. Haven't broken a tool yet, but anything over half an inch I have to step up to the long handle loopers and their only good up to about an inch thick and then I have the chainsaw out.
I hand carve walking sticks with Celtic knots and key patterns out of Yew. There's a knack to carving Yew, it wants to run or shred, so your tool bites in, and doesn't curl like a nice piece of ash or hickory. Bits tend to tear out big chunks, or dig in snap or rip the tool out of your hand if you're not ready.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice ruben
Yew sure got allot of them dont you?
I will contact you this week to make a appointment to pick the one we discussed up !

Top Bottom