I don't think I should cut this root.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's ugly. But it's also pretty big and probably supplying a lot of stuff to the tree. It's a catlin elm.
I think I should tilt it when I repot in the spring.
AND
If I tilt it and bury it, do you think nicking it or something might make new roots start at the wound?

P1050034.JPG

P1050035.JPG

What do you elm-ers think?

:)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not a lot of experience with catlin elms, but with the others I've worked with you'd just chop the root back in spring hard and it'll sprout new roots at the cut end.

The catlins don't have the vigor of the parvifolias so that concerns me.

???

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd leave it through your ground layer at appropriate clump level to make this worth owning.

Then root that fucker after you severe your new worthy tree.

We can't see where it's coming from or going to, can't really even tell which end is which.
Just saying.

Sorce.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The catlins don't have the vigor of the parvifolias so that concerns me.

???
If that is the entire root system "leader" for your tree, then you have no choice but to address it some way. If there are other roots coming off the trunk, then it's just one of many and even if it doesn't regrow you'll only be out an ugly root. Win win.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If that is the entire root system "leader" for your tree, then you have no choice but to address it some way. If there are other roots coming off the trunk, then it's just one of many and even if it doesn't regrow you'll only be out an ugly root. Win win.

I.....think.... there are more roots. One more for sure on the other side of the trunk. Fairly big. I think.
Can't get in to see good with it planted.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'd leave it through your ground layer at appropriate clump level to make this worth owning.

Then root that fucker after you severe your new worthy tree.

We can't see where it's coming from or going to, can't really even tell which end is which.
Just saying.

Sorce.

P1050034.JPG

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I.....think.... there are more roots. One more for sure on the other side of the trunk. Fairly big. I think.
Can't get in to see good with it planted.
There's nothing urgent in this root removal. Wait till spring, take the tree from its pot and you can examine it thoroughly and make a decision. Deciduous species respond very well to hard-pruning in spring.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The fucking heat is even attacking my Scots pine. And I keep it where shade hits it by 2PM.

Shit!
And I even mist it pretty good when it gets hot.

I just now moved it even farther from the afternoon. Goddam rack should be moved to the river!!! :mad:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fucking heat is even attacking my Scots pine. And I keep it where shade hits it by 2PM.

Shit!
And I even mist it pretty good when it gets hot.

I just now moved it even farther from the afternoon. Goddam rack should be moved to the river!!! :mad:

Wrong thread?

Ask @Smoke about that heat.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If a pine is having trouble with heat I think you are not watering properly. I have problems when trees are root bound because it is difficult for the water to penetrate into the root zone and there may be very little space left to hold water. In such situations where repot is not an option I soak the pots each week to make sure the whole thing is actually wet. Misting is very temporary. Proper watering is paramount.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How hot is hot? I have pines (JBP, JRP, Scots and Austrian mainly) on a roof in Australia where we get temps of 105F plus pretty regularly over summer and they sit out in the elements for the whole day. If you give them ample water not only will they tolerate it, they’ll thrive. With those kind of temps though, misting is next to useless, you need to soak/water like you mean it!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If a pine is having trouble with heat I think you are not watering properly. I have problems when trees are root bound because it is difficult for the water to penetrate into the root zone and there may be very little space left to hold water. In such situations where repot is not an option I soak the pots each week to make sure the whole thing is actually wet. Misting is very temporary. Proper watering is paramount.
I probably misstated "misting." It's actually pretty much overhead watering to cool the tree ..and..water it. In the mornings I water the soil at soil level.

Top Bottom