I Dug Up An Urban Yamadori And It Has Orange Jelly Growing In It.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Is this bad? Ive never seen it before. When I rub it off it looks like it has been eating the bark. Do I burn the tree?IMG_2102.JPGIMG_2103.JPGIMG_2105.JPGIMG_2106.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That is cedar-apple rust. Keep it away from any malus and hawthorn species and all your other junipers. That tree will always have it, even if you prune away the affected branches. Shimpakus are not affected, so grafting new branches from shimpaku might be an option, if the trunk is worth keeping. Be careful to clean your tools after working on this tree, that fungus is highly contagious.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
ughhh.... is there anything I should do to the Malus it is sitting under right now besides move the juniper? Its only been a couple hours.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It can be transmitted pretty far distances from my understanding. If you own that tree, it can/ maybe already has infect the Apple.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
tree moved across the street into the ditch and the major growths are cut off and put into the garbage bin. Tomorrow Ill get some systemic fungicide and spray everything. Because cedar hedge right behind the tree ughhhhhhhh

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow! It's not that dangerous.
Rusts have a two part life cycle. Spores from the fruiting body on the juniper must colonize the leaves of a secondary host in the rose family before the disease can be transmitted to any other junipers. Still a good idea to clean your tools, but if any hawthorn or apple live within a 1/2 mile of your trees, they are probably exposed every year.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
@Quince lol, Im not worried about myself. I don't want to expose any trees any more then I have to when I work on them tomorrow. I was rubbing against the juniper moving it and why take a chance? I often put on less clean clothes to work in the garden and this just separates the clothes that have touched spores with the ones that have not. Going that extra mile rarely hurts and can be the difference between an annoyance and a big headache. I fought spidermites for three years because I didn't go that extra mile. I threw away all my house plants in the end. I hate dealing with this crap and I will probably throw my new tree away tomorrow rather then risk it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It shouldnt kill the tree, it just looks nasty.

I had it on a few junipers over the last few years in a few spots. Ive removed growths in the fall (the little pea sized nodules) and sprayed the trees with fungicide.

I havent seen a sign of it last fall or this spring on any of those plants...so far.
*crosses fingers*

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Every late winter here in N GA, I've got to prune my RMJ's and remove small branches that develop fungal galls. The galls are discrete swellings on the stem that burst open with the orange goo after the first few warm spring rains. Prophylactic spraying in the spring and summer keeps C-A rust mostly at bay, but as others have pointed out, it's already everywhere in the landscape so it'll always be an issue. My advice is to not keep juniper species that are prone to the disease, like ERC. I'm currently grafting shimpaku on 2 of my 3 RMJ, and one of the motivating issues to do so was the native foliage's susceptibility to C-A rust.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Yuck!

I will never own a cedar after this thread and highly contemplating burning a Grey Owl Juniper just because its a Cedar cultivar. :mad:

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It took me 35 years to realize what that was. Thank you.

My childhood friends yard had junipers totally infested with that.

Always disturbed the bejesus out of me.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yuck!

I will never own a cedar after this thread and highly contemplating burning a Grey Owl Juniper just because its a Cedar cultivar. :mad:
Now that you mention it, I have J. v 'Grey Owl' planted as a hedge in my front yard and have never seen them show signs of C-A rust... I bet they probably are pretty resistant.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have 'red jewel' crab apple that is on the easily infected list. I am torn on tossing the tree because my yard is so small, the tree is so big and I hate fighting pests. On the other hand, I might have to fight the war regardless and just start spraying everything all the time. I really like the tree, but will it live after the rushed digging? I might have to flip a coin on this one. The coin flip always works, you know what you really want before the coin lands.

Top Bottom