I finally think I found a front I like.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trident I started in 2013 with three tridents, and then added three more tridents in 2014. Just been letting it grow. It is finally mostly grafted together now. Tonight I took a beauty shot of what I think is the most interesting front. It will get a new pot and a repot next season for Spring.

001.JPG06.JPG09.JPG023.JPG

This was last Winter shot 2018/19. The shot I took for the new front is about 20 degrees to the left.
046.JPG
The trunk is 4 inches across just above the soil and the tree is 14" tall x 14" wide. I'm on the lookout for an oval pot, something 14" wide x 10 deep and about 1.5 to 2 inches tall. The pot it's in is a Japanese pot and pretty old. About 50 years believe it or not. The guy I got it from used to deal in pottery at his nursery and he got it from a guy in the bay area when he first started bonsai. He died last year and he had been doing bonsai for over sixty years. This pot is just to bulky looking. Right size, just too thick.
DSC_0050.JPG

This is one of Ray Thiemes old trees.

DSC_0033.JPG

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The trident I started in 2013 with three tridents, and then added three more tridents in 2014. Just been letting it grow. It is finally mostly grafted together now. Tonight I took a beauty shot of what I think is the most interesting front. It will get a new pot and a repot next season for Spring.

View attachment 237202View attachment 237203View attachment 237204View attachment 237205

This was last Winter shot 2018/19. The shot I took for the new front is about 20 degrees to the left.
View attachment 237206
The trunk is 4 inches across just above the soil and the tree is 14" tall x 14" wide. I'm on the lookout for an oval pot, something 14" wide x 10 deep and about 1.5 to 2 inches tall. The pot it's in is a Japanese pot and pretty old. About 50 years believe it or not. The guy I got it from used to deal in pottery at his nursery and he got it from a guy in the bay area when he first started bonsai. He died last year and he had been doing bonsai for over sixty years. This pot is just to bulky looking. Right size, just too thick.
View attachment 237207

This is one of Ray Thiemes old trees.

View attachment 237212

Al, can we get a little closer shot of the trunk to see how/where they fused? Or are they still taped together? You say this is 3 trees taped and wired together for 6 years?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's your watering schedule like in the summer?
Everyday!

Hey...I went out to Ed Clarks Saturday. I got the major skinny on maples. I got the major skinny on seeds and and the major skinny on trueness of germination. We talked about maple brooms, Carl Youngs Seiju elm, Koto Matsubara's Matsubara Red Ume and all sorts of things.

I will be going back there soon to take him rooted cuttings of Miniature Japanese privit, and bought a few things for myself.

This is one of them. A true red maple, stays red all year. Leaves are very tiny when pinched and the leaves come out looking like dissectum then turn into palmate leaves. Acer Palmatum Kandy Kitchen.

the bench of stock, those green to the right are Katsura's, the ones that come out bright orange in the spring.
DSC_0015.JPG

This is the one I chose.
DSC_0032.JPG

This is after I cut the bejesus out of it.
DSC_0042.JPG

Last edited:

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Everyday!

Hey...I went out to Ed Clarks Saturday. I got the major skinny on maples. I got the major skinny on seeds and and the major skinny on trueness of germination. We talked about maple brooms, Carl Youngs Seiju elm, Koto Matsubara's Matsubara Red Ume and all sorts of things.

I will be going back there soon to take him rooted cuttings of Miniature Japanese privit, and bought a few things for myself.

This is one of them. A true red maple, stays red all year. Leaves are very tiny when pinched and the leaves come out looking like dissectum then turn into palmate leaves. Acer Palmatum Kandy Kitchen.

the bench of stock, those green to the right are Katsura's, the ones that come out bright orange in the spring.
View attachment 237410

This is the one I chose.
View attachment 237408

This is after I cut the bejesus out of it.
View attachment 237409
Is that your pruning mug sitting beside it?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you do anything to the trunks prior (like score them) to taping them together. Will this work on all trees?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you do anything to the trunks prior (like score them) to taping them together. Will this work on all trees?
I ran a fine toothed saw down the length of the "graft" just to expose some green wood after they were taped. Tridents will graft with just pressure on the bark like many trees will.

The next year I grafted three more saplings in between the three. Just to fill the gaps. It's pretty hard to meld three trunks together perfectly, there will always be gaps until it grows enough girth to melt over the other trunks. Most of the saplings are now engulfed in the trunks.

DSC_0008.JPGDSC_0012.JPGDSC_00101.JPG

Each year I clean out the wound paste and scar it up more inducing scar tissue to form. I'm not actually looking for pretty here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom