I found my forever nursery!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
yeah I have to admit I'm at capacity for young stuff. I hate paying for things I can propagate or pluck myself. I want to swing by one of these Saturdays but I'll be busy the next two. I'm starting to really get the urge to collect locally, I want to try my hand at a large Acer rubrum or medium(ish) ulmus americana

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes... pictures!

For documentation purposes..

In the words of Adrian Monk,

“You’ll thank me later.”

🤓
Here they are! First a small Red Oak with some movement in the trunk, and second a thin Sweet Birch with a decent base but needs trunk work above that. I'm planning to do a series of chops to get some lower branching in hopes of making a shohin tree from it.
20210909_185825.jpg

20210909_185859.jpg
20210909_185932.jpg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After good advice from fellow members here I've finally kicked my bad habit of buying cheap and poor material from Home Depot! Here in Eastern PA I've found a place called Edge of the Woods nursery which, after making friends with the owner/manager, will allow me to buy as much "not for sale yet" stock as I want. I picked up a small Oak, pics to come, which had been gnawed on by a rabbit. Price: free! The owner has lots of bonsai 'clients' to whom he gives special treatment. Looks like I found myself a great friend and a perfect place to start collecting from :)
Sounds like a cool spot! Yeah you’ll be happier doing bonsai long term by purchasing better material for sure. My first trees were from a bonsai nursery and I killed a few when I started messing with them. So I bought cheep stuff to practice with. But now I only buy good material. It makes the practice more worthwhile for sure.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ask him about old neglected stock. These often make for great (and inexpensive) bonsai.
Still need to do heavy bends, but this was old neglected stock , sitting there at edge of the woods in a old cement shallow container for a number of years

Attachments

• 1AA10D0F-42EC-4561-9895-BE4BE3975E7F.jpeg
    1AA10D0F-42EC-4561-9895-BE4BE3975E7F.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom