I found this in a recently bought plant. ID?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a fossil to me. It has a spiral shell and appears to be empty. Snail shell? A whorl? Brain sucking mollusk? It's tiny, about 2/8ths of an inch. I'm zoomed hard, and it looks like it has a barnacle attached.

wth_shell.PNG

wth_shell2.PNG

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It does look like a snail shell. My first thought is maybe it's the remains of some sort of predatory snail. Here in Calfornia, snails with similar spiral shells have been introduced.
But there are other species. It seems there's also one from the Southeast?

But if it truly has a barnacle on it, maybe it's just a sea shell that somehow got mixed in with the soil in your pot? Odd, but not impossible.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was in the soil and stood out a bit. I just wasn't 100% sure it was a snail because they don't look like that around here. I should start a thread on what's the weirdest thing you've found in a plant pot. :) Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It does look like a snail shell. My first thought is maybe it's the remains of some sort of predatory snail. Here in Calfornia, snails with similar spiral shells have been introduced.
But there are other species. It seems there's also one from the Southeast?

But if it truly has a barnacle on it, maybe it's just a sea shell that somehow got mixed in with the soil in your pot? Odd, but not impossible.
From the first link "Staphylinid beetle called the devil's coach horse." Well that doesn't sound good. 😬

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Whats not good?! theyre a natural born killer of slugs and snails- no poisons or sprays needed if you have them in your garden!
The way I see it... If the the devil's coach horse has arrived Satan isn't far away. :) I was just referring to the name, as I do appreciate beneficial insects. Thanks for the video!

Top Bottom