I found this inspiring

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sharing a link to Spanish bonsai artist Gabriel Romero. The link will bring you directly to a Japanese maple bonsai on his site that he has grown from seed and trained for 20 years in a pot ('89-'09). It is inspiring to see what someone with patience and determination can achieve from a mere tiny seedling to a beautiful mature maple specimen. I thought this would be interesting particularly for those starting out in bonsai.

He also has a fantastic Pinus Sylvestris that he has worked on for 26 years.

http://www.bonsaisantboi.com/particular/show/particular_id/3

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice to see a well documented progression.
the nebari looks great!

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the post! It's confirmation that patience is key!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice to see a well documented progression.
the nebari looks great!

I agree. I think it is so important to keep documenting the progress of one's work. It can tell a great story of time, patience and determination.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it was all done in pots, no ground growing? Nice.

Let's see, I started a bunch of Japanese maple seedlings last year, so by 2034...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like it was all done in pots, no ground growing? Nice.

Let's see, I started a bunch of Japanese maple seedlings last year, so by 2034...

Yes appears to be the case. I was surprised to learn that in Japan lots of maples (possibly many other trees) where completely container grown. Many for 40 + years. Bill V has also done the same with some of his maples. It takes tremendous dedication and patience. I am humbled by those that have done it and achieved such incredible results.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always refer people to Bill's book when they say that trunks won't thicken in containers. It may take 20 or 40 years, but it can be done!

I probably don't have 40 years left, but 20 should be no problem!

Chris

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Very cool I have a seedling that is + / - 12 years old that has never seen ground always in container, albeit large containers. I started it in a "tree pot" (they're pots made for forestry seedlings) then into large Terra cota pot. I've neglected it it still has a nice trunk. You can grow out trees in containers. I'll get some pics of mine

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome! I'm at 3 years with some of my zelkova broom,twenty years I be retired,That is the plan.I will have trees that are ridiculously documented.I have an album for each tree.
thanks for the inspiration

Top Bottom