I geeked out on plants today and am excited to have gotten 3 pre-bonsai plants and tools at Artisan Bonsai Nursery

rustedtrew180sx

Seedling
Reaction score
HorseloverFat, I meant to say I spent time there and never heard so many people use the phrase 'You betcha!'

Thank you Rustedtrew. The smartest thing I did was get my husband interested too! He's sitting next to me watching bonsai videos...It makes it more fun.
I hear ya! I got my wife into it too! But it helped that she was always into gardening.. so it was an easy transition. Tee hee! Now we get to enjoy a hobby together.
I used to raise coral and kept salt water reef tanks for 15 years. She got into it with me just like bonsai so it's really fun when your spouse gets into a hobby with u.

toscgwsndiqz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ulmus Parvifolia is better grown as a 'Cool House' Bonsai not a 'Warm House' Bonsai
In more cold climates indoors in a 3 season room or sun room where the temps can be kept around 40F, a Lacebark can get enough of a dormancy to survive

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I hear ya! I got my wife into it too! But it helped that she was always into gardening.. so it was an easy transition. Tee hee! Now we get to enjoy a hobby together.
I used to raise coral and kept salt water reef tanks for 15 years. She got into it with me just like bonsai so it's really fun when your spouse gets into a hobby with u.
I have a friend who's into coral and salt water tanks. It's fascinating. Do you still do it? It does help to have a partner with the same interests. I think my husband is a better gardener than me. He has the stamina to work all day on something.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ulmus Parvifolia is better grown as a 'Cool House' Bonsai not a 'Warm House' Bonsai
In more cold climates indoors in a 3 season room or sun room where the temps can be kept around 40F, a Lacebark can get enough of a dormancy to survive
I am just curious how many you have grown under these conditions and how old they are. I suspect a big difference in the physiology of juvinile vs mature specimens of this plant.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is interesting though it refers to the species and cultivars can be quite different.
Ulmus parvifolia is one of the cold-hardiest of the Chinese species. In artificial freezing tests at the Morton Arboretum.[18] the LT50 (temp. at which 50% of tissues die) was found to be −34 °C (−29 °F).
It is definitely not a tropical plant.

rustedtrew180sx

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a friend who's into coral and salt water tanks. It's fascinating. Do you still do it? It does help to have a partner with the same interests. I think my husband is a better gardener than me. He has the stamina to work all day on something.
Unfortunately... Not anymore.. Long story why I teared mine down few years ago.. but i have plans to start it again when we move into our new home. I have been successful at it for many years tho! Not out of the game yet! Hahaha just on pause.
Yes, corals are definitely fun! It's kinda like under water gardening ;)
But yeah! Ive always appreciated and wanted a bonsai for many years.. and I finally jumped into the hobby like 2 months ago.
I thought one needed patience in salt water reef keeping .. jeez... I'm learning Bonsai is "real" patience! But just as beautiful as reef keeping! I will say one of the pros of doing bonsai is... At least I don't have to do water changes every week... Ugh! I never got used to doing that.. disliked it but was necessary to keep them alive/healthy. Never liked automating the work..too many risks and I'm too old school.

mrbadfish

Seedling
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of water jasmine? I’d like to see it and how much you paid. It’s on my list. Also, who’s the guy selling his collection off? Is he interested in selling to anyone? Does he have an ad?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Do you have a picture of water jasmine? I’d like to see it and how much you paid. It’s on my list. Also, who’s the guy selling his collection off? Is he interested in selling to anyone? Does he have an ad?
What part of the country are you in? The water jasmine was bigger before I chopped it today so I don't have a picture of it as was when I bought it. I paid 59.00 for it. If you're near Tampa you can go to Artisan's Nursery.

Top Bottom