I got an itch to play with wood.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have stands for sale Harry. I am not in the business of making stands.

These stands were made for Kathy Shaner and the Toko Kazari next month. These along with many more in my collection will be used for a display seminar on sunday. People will be able to pre purchase the right to actually make bonsai displays at the seminar and have it critiqued by Kathy during her talk. We may have as many as 6 going at a time and will continue as time permitts.

The formal display seminar will take place on Sunday after the judging for the exhibit is finished and the awards given out on Saturday night. Admission to the seminar as well as a silent observer for the hands on is 15.00, admission to the seminar as well as trying your hand at making a display will be 35.00. I will be providing all the tables, the scrolls, trees and slabs. Varity is the key to making a display and it will be curious to see what someone else may make from my stuff.

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,
Really nice stands. Great craftsmanship and artistry. I just like the way that you bring the tree trunk and the table legs into harmony creating a flow and balance between the stand and tree that creates that wabi sabi frisson. If I had the wherewithals to began to consider buying one of your stands I might be tempting to pestering you too. But as I work at a juvenile detention center, I learned to answer to repeated request " Just because you ask allot doesn't mean you get a different answer. NO!"
Thanks for sharing, Al.

PS I hope I didn't p.u. off in the question I posted about your winter jasmine. I asked because I've admired it but have been afraid of purchasing one from Brent due to his warning that it does best in a cool climate. I don't live in one but nor do you. I thought that I asked a legitimate question. Anyway, thanks for sharing you stand and your knowledge about displays.
Thanks,
Ray

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hehehe Harry, I think he used that tree because it is similar to your newer Cal Juni from Gremmel to make you jelous.

Again very nice work Al.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I look forward to the Koa and AAA bookmatched flamed maple stands.

Drawing inspiration from instruments is on thing but one could look to the briar patch for adding interest to legs and feet.

papalia_10.JPG

Adding rustication as a wraparound to the edges of your planks could be interesting,but maybe harder to pull off.

Last edited:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Agathis finds it's way into cheaper import guitars,somewhere pricewise between the infamous Luan and Poplar.

But it's also found in a sort of fossilised state in New Zealand.

http://www.kauricraft.co.nz/

Some slight Spalting is evident.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm hearing that buzzing sound again. Anyone else hear it?

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Man, very nice work Al. Thank you so much for sharing, and posting all of your processes and stand designs. Its so nice to see someone who truly appreciates the finer points of woodworking. -=Brian=-

Top Bottom