I grow small trees in various “containers”

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is more of an introduction as I need some assistance moving forward. I ended up in Washinshington after getting out of the army for medical reasons( I’m crazy). Lol. Anyway, while searching for a place to reside the fam and I would stop by the PNW bonsai museum almost daily as an escape from the stress. Bought a bonsai book. I’m sure you know how that goes. When we found a place, I started digging up all kinds of seedlings from the yard. Some I left in the ground to get larger and cut back randomly. JM’s, birches, doug firs and random trees I haven’t figured out yet. That was back in 2007 so I’ve had some for a long time, but they are not even close to bonsai status. They are more like decent starting material. Sort of. But if I haven’t killed them yet I must be something right. Maybe? I do random experiments with propagation and growing methods. I tried growing a corkscrew willow upside down. Went on my first yamadori mission this year. I’ve even got a tree growing in a trash can lid. I do it for the peace of mind, growing trees keeps my mind at ease. I’d like to take some of them to the next level if possible, so I’m going to start posting some of my stuff to get your opinions. I’m not really into the group setting of clubs and my wife is tired of listening to me talk about trees. Lol

Attachments

• ABBCE679-528B-40C0-B345-9852C51CF932.jpeg
    ABBCE679-528B-40C0-B345-9852C51CF932.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 410
  • F1305454-80D9-43F1-B6FB-15A3F5B314FA.jpeg
    F1305454-80D9-43F1-B6FB-15A3F5B314FA.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 403
  • 384322C3-066D-4068-A0AF-7A8104CBA7EC.jpeg
    384322C3-066D-4068-A0AF-7A8104CBA7EC.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 404

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Army '00-'03, Paladins out of Ft. Riley, KS; CG '11-'14, Station Quilleut River, La Push, WA, and CGC Harriet Lane, Suffolk, VA; mediocre at both; back home in southern Colorado.

I didn't see the trash can lid. Must've missed it.

PM me if you feel the need to swap war stories. I promise you'll win.

Edit: Found it!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'll need to give us closer pics of individual trees to get much in the way of useful comments. Welcome.

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
Looking at it I see a lot of effort and an unwillingness to give up on any tree. I would recommend bigger pots to get them growing. The rest will follow I guess... wiring, cutting back, secondary branches, pending on a really nice pot for a really nice tree you want as bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Army '00-'03, Paladins out of Ft. Riley, KS; CG '11-'14, Station Quilleut River, La Push, WA, and CGC Harriet Lane, Suffolk, VA; mediocre at both; back home in southern Colorado.

I didn't see the trash can lid. Must've missed it.

PM me if you feel the need to swap war stories. I promise you'll win.

Edit: Found it!
Army 00-07. Ft lewis 01-03, trip to sandbox, ft Carson 03-07, another trip to sandbox mixed in. Lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at it I see a lot of effort and an unwillingness to give up on any tree. I would recommend bigger pots to get them growing. The rest will follow I guess... wiring, cutting back, secondary branches, pending on a really nice pot for a really nice tree you want as bonsai.
Yeah, I don’t let my trees go even if they really suck or an undesirable species. I could always plant them in the yard later. Cutting back is something I do, a lot. Lol! I do amateur wiring, but have lots of practice. My willows need to be wired/unwired every 2-3 weeks. Hahahaha

Reaction score
USDA Zone
FC5717A2-E6CD-4A47-8A3B-563D33480BA0.jpegMy favorite tree to watch wake up in the spring. Sitka mountain ash. It’s a raft planting, cut the root base off last year without even checking to see if roots grew.Hahahaha in an evil laugh. Repotted couple weeks ago and there was a ton of roots. They kinda look like palm trees so jungle theme it is. Watch out for the sniper!!!! Lol

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Army 00-07. Ft lewis 01-03, trip to sandbox, ft Carson 03-07, another trip to sandbox mixed in. Lol
Army 07-16, signal, Germany, sandbox, lewis, the other sandbox, Lewis. Met my wife here, stayed with her and left the Army.

Now I also make small trees.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Try to find a picture of Nick Lenz's "root over tank" bonsai, you'll get a kick out of it. If anyone has a link, please post it.

I also like to find unconventional bonsai containers. My favorites are old plow discs, sometimes you can find them in junk shops or metal scrap yards.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Army 07-16, signal, Germany, sandbox, lewis, the other sandbox, Lewis. Met my wife here, stayed with her and left the Army.

Now I also make small trees.
You lasted longer than I. Lol
If you’re ever down by point defiance park and want a corkscrew willow or two I need to offload some. I made way too many last year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try to find a picture of Nick Lenz's "root over tank" bonsai, you'll get a kick out of it. If anyone has a link, please post it.

I also like to find unconventional bonsai containers. My favorites are old plow discs, sometimes you can find them in junk shops or metal scrap yards.
That is a sweet “root over tank” the trees are amazing. Such fine details that make the scene so believable. Thanks for the suggestion! Now I need to get a tank. Hahahahha

Top Bottom