I guess I should be happy with the trees I have, however its doubtful I'll have any for the spring show

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Since winter is soon here, I guess I should be happy with the trees I have, and the new additions that are coming likely on thursday, it's just I likely wouldn't have any to enter into a show and win a prize in the spring... Last 3 pictures are of the Brazilian Rain Tree I got from Wigert's Bonsai and likely to arrive Thursday, won another maple on 99 cent bonsai group that also should arrive wednesday or thursday, don't have pictures of it yet.

Attachments

• chineseelm.jpg
    chineseelm.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 103
  • juniper.jpg
    juniper.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 95
  • trident.jpg
    trident.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 94
  • ficus.jpg
    ficus.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 95
  • BRT1.jpg
    BRT1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 94
  • BRT2.jpg
    BRT2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 90
  • BRT3.jpg
    BRT3.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 95

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Do you seriously think that you can just buy a pre bonsai now and win a prize in a bonsai show in the coming spring???? Please have some respect for the hobby.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I had the words to win you over to the value of "beginner's mind" in any endeavor. To the value of not knowing, but being able to ask for help, and to quietly and patiently watch someone with experience. You don't need to prove yourself -- just show up willing. People respect that -- and doors open.

Take your time, and enjoy your class. Make notes as you go, or right after class while it's fresh in your mind. In between classes, if questions come to mind, write them down so you can ask them the next time. (Just a suggestion, but it's worked well for me over the years.)

And listen to your teacher: show-quality bonsai will still be available in the future, but you will want better tools and the knowledge & experience to use them, first. Your teacher will think better of your judgement, I'm sure, if you ask "which tools shall I begin with?" You don't need everything at once.

Take time to cultivate you, as well as bonsai. 🙂

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You should never enter one of your trees to try to win a prize.

Rather, you should develop your trees until you are extremely happy with them. Then you should share your trees... and if they win a prize you should view it as confirmation of the work you have done.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another thought is - you could go to a trophy shop and just buy a trophy or two. That way you wouldn’t have all that mess of growing a bonsai tree.

Best suggestion I've seen so far!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you want a show ready tree you need to have the dollars to buy it.
However you have to learn to walk before you can run.
If you dont know how to take care of that tree, it wont be a show ready tree for long.
Bonsai is a marathon, not a sprint, unless you are a rich person with a large amount of disposable income

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I think these trees are good for shows . Your missing the Nationals right now ! You would of won best conifer by far !

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you want a show ready tree you need to have the dollars to buy it.
However you have to learn to walk before you can run.
If you dont know how to take care of that tree, it wont be a show ready tree for long.
Bonsai is a marathon, not a sprint, unless you are a rich person with a large amount of disposable income
disposable income is whatever i can get out of the debit card and credit cards and never repay. after the last year and a half.... not concerned with finances or paying bills, let the us economy eat it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Back up a minute...and understand, the joy of the journey.

2015 image of a Pink Pixie Bougainvillea
FB_IMG_1631188756533.jpg

... To me, that is what bonsai is about. Getting from point A to point B. The journey... I don't need a prize. Just the satisfaction of a good journey. The tree...is your prize. 😉 you always win.

Image from 2020
result_1598718927683.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since winter is soon here, I guess I should be happy with the trees I have, and the new additions that are coming likely on thursday, it's just I likely wouldn't have any to enter into a show and win a prize in the spring... Last 3 pictures are of the Brazilian Rain Tree I got from Wigert's Bonsai and likely to arrive Thursday, won another maple on 99 cent bonsai group that also should arrive wednesday or thursday, don't have pictures of it yet.
You should be proud of your trees, bonsaiboy! You have a nice collection. They need to mature a bit more but so do some of the responders to your post. You’ll find a lot of good information on this forum and many kind people willing to help and dialogue. But you’ll also find some who want to tear you down to build themselves up. Ignore them. To everyone, just be kind!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
disposable income is whatever i can get out of the debit card and credit cards and never repay. after the last year and a half.... not concerned with finances or paying bills, let the us economy eat it.
Thank you for incriminating yourself 🤗. Most of us here earn an honest living outside of Bonsai , and manage a personal budget to afford this hobby and work hard to maintain it. You need a serious wake up call. Money doesn’t buy shit , it’s the friendship, education/ experience and know how to be able to either develop, acquire honestly or collect show worthy Bonsai… that is worth more than a mountain of gold.
You disgust me, you’ve been posting the same thing over and over ,and talking about how you can scam your way out of paying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom