I Guess This Can Be My Progression Thread Of Sorts

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The ficus from Wigert's was delivered and she is pretty! I took a bunch of photos that will be below.

Give me your thoughts, your impressions on the tree, what you would do, etc. I was thinking of letting it get taller, but it kinda looks okay like this too. I'm just not sure.

20230426_192903.jpg

20230426_192839.jpg

20230426_192847.jpg

20230426_192828.jpg

20230426_192922 (1).jpg

20230426_192934.jpg

20230426_193025.jpg

20230426_193013.jpg

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First thing I would do is to select among all those branches which ones are useful for your design and take out the ones that dont. That would let light in and stimulate back budding. After that, you can wire the remaining branches to start styling your tree

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with Mike.

Cute little tree would make a cute little ficus broom

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Oh dang, you didn’t get the bendy one with the aerial roots?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another vote for broom!

I wouldn’t even prune away branches. I’d just pull everything apart and down to let light in and encourage redonkulous levels of ramification.

MeDupree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Grain of salt I'm a rookie here...but I'd focus on improving or hiding the straight area near the middle chop section the most first and plant this on an angle at repot time.

Attachments

• 20230426_213933.jpg
    20230426_213933.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 17

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've never been disappointed with Wigert's, nice tree.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Grain of salt I'm a rookie here...but I'd focus on improving or hiding the straight area near the middle chop section the most first and plant this on an angle at repot time.

I like this general design. Makes it look like an actual miniature tree to me. I know that they are all miniature trees, but I guess I'm thinking more of a classic look over all is what appeals to me.

How would I start working towards that? Do I let it get taller? If so, just overpot it? How do I get the two lower branches lower?

I have never styled a bonsai before.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How would I start working towards that?

First, do a search here for as much info as you can gather on ficus. Second, while not in English, this guy has a TON of videos on ficus, and his methods worked very well for me.

On your tree, you are closer than you think on accomplishing that design. That blue area I marked needs to be carved up (remove that dry stump away from where the last chop on the tree was performed) into a nice transition to those leaders. Ficus grow extremely well in FL, so I wouldn't put this into any over size container as you will loose the tightness that Wigert's already created on it. You will need to wire a few of the branches you have now if you want to conform to the more traditional mini tree, but you have a nice broom shape... do some search and decide which way to go.

I would suggest buying cut paste to cover the area once you carve it, you need to have live tissue all the way around it to heal nice and quickly. I have used refrigeration clay, and it works ok, but that cut paste will accelerate the healing. Ficus heal fast, but with the paste its stupid how faster they will heal a trunk chop.

If you can afford it, get a Mirai membership, do the free trial, if you like it stay for as long as you want, if you don't cancel and they will not charge your card. I did the trial thinking about cancelling it and I am still a member since 2019. There are other channels, but the library they already have is well worth the money vs the other ones.

I think this is the best side of your tree, I would repot this summer into an oval container or the same one you have now exposing a little more of the nebari to help it flare out more.

1682598627087.png

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would suggest thinning out the overcrowded branching in the middle. It just seems to me, from the photo views that it’s overcrowded. Nice tree to start working out your magic touch.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think this tree has a good height already and I wouldnt grow it taller"
If anything I could see cutting back on some/all those long branches and redoing the canopy.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree is so close to being a good broom style already that it is difficult to give specific advice. I agree with Maiden's advice about removing the remnants of the old trunk. Is there a local club where you can take the tree for advice? There is no substitute for seeing the tree in person. An experienced person could quickly direct you about the details.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree is so close to being a good broom style already that it is difficult to give specific advice. I agree with Maiden's advice about removing the remnants of the old trunk. Is there a local club where you can take the tree for advice? There is no substitute for seeing the tree in person. An experienced person could quickly direct you about the details.

Closest club I have is in Orlando. The traffic to get there on their meeting nights is not worth it to me. I will have to think about it though.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One direction I follow is to kick back and keep the tree healthy. Over the seasons, as many as it takes, I frequently rotate the tree for a good variety of views. I iPhone photograph sides that have particular interest. Later I look closely at the photos. A photo captures a view that doesn’t include what my brain wants to see. There’s no cover up of flaws.

I begin to imagine what steps and decisions are needed during those rotations. A plan begins to form. I never hurry. I’m more into keeping a tree healthy in the first seasons….and bypass notions or recommendations to chop and prune.

My advice would be to focus on the health. I’d clean up and un-crowd areas if I determined it was necessary for the best tree health. I like to take my time and enjoy the process of development stages. Enjoy your time.

Top Bottom