I had this coach once: are all good teachers kind and gentle?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Growing up I lived in several tiny towns. Our family would always go to the basketball games because one sister played in the band and the other sister was a cheerleader. A few times a year a huge rival came to town. It was the town where my mom grew up and where my grandpa still lived so I knew the town well. It was always a rough night because these guys were good. I mean they were like a well oiled machine. It seemed like they never got tired. You often wondered if they ever missed a shot. Every player played the same way. As a kid with an analytical mind, I was in awe.

When I was a freshman in high school, my parents lost everything and we had to move in with my grandpa. This was not really bad for me because among other things, I was going to get a chance to play basketball on this team. My first memory from that school was that NOBODY dared walk on the gym floor without dedicated gym shoes. The coach would see to it that you were suspended if you did. This coach was considered by pretty much everyone to be a world class egomaniacal jerk. (It turned out he paid to have the floor resurfaced very often out of his own pocket so his teams would always play on the best court possible. This was not public knowledge)

Here are some other, "highlights" that I remember. All basketball players had to be at school by 6AM to practice free throws every day during the season. Every player from varsity to freshman had to be home by 10PM every night. He would randomly call your house and if you did not speak to him on the phone you did not play that week. If the game was on a Friday night, the entire team stayed at the school until the games were over. You had to be there the whole time even if you did not play. I remember running until I threw up doing a drill where you shot free throws until you made 10 in a row. If you missed one you ran a set of sprints and started over. This one REALLY made me mad. I did not understand it at all. What a JERK he was! He was yelling all the time! It seemed like we never ran fast enough or stayed in defensive position long enough or shot accurately enough for this guy! You could never please him! (or so it seemed)

Now for (as Paul Harvey once said) "The rest of the story." At the time I started playing, this coach had over 500 wins and just 12 losses. He had 5 state championship teams and 3 of his players were All-American. Many went on to play for Division I colleges. You walked in the locker room and it was a shrine to these teams. He made you believe that you were part of this great legacy, something bigger than yourself. He was not really controlling, he knew that high school boys have no business being out after 10 on a school night and he made sure of it! When he demanded that we all stay at the school hours before games he always had food for us. He had couches, a TV, a washer and drier, a full fridge and he wanted us to "hang out" and build unity. He wanted us to be a family.

The free throw thing... Just when I could not take any more, he made us stop and get in the stands and said, "Okay let me take a turn." We all cheered wildly! Finally this guy was gonna get what was coming to him! He walked up to the free throw line with the ball and began talking to us about details and how little things won and lost games. As he talked, he was looking at us but shooting the basketball. You know that guy made 100 out of 100 shots? None of us ever questioned him again.

The guys that made it through this loved him. He was just as loyal to as as he demanded we be to each other. He would walk through fire for any player not just the stars. He tutored kids for free almost every day. He was always there to listen and we knew it. It came at a price. He was not a gentle guy. He was gruff, demanding, he cussed and yelled. He was a big intimidating man and I don't think I ever saw him smile. He taught me more than I can ever say and gave me more than I can ever thank him for.

Sometimes the people we think are jerks are trying like crazy to make us better.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Clyde,
Truly a very inspiring story, with a good punchline (free throw thing) to finish.
Thank you for taking time to tell us this story.
Charles

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've had several "hardnosed instructors" in my day....from teachers to coaches to trainers to my father.
I think what it boils down to, as far as whether or not one feels like their "teacher" is a jerk, is TRUTH.
The ones who tell you the honest truth about whatever the issue at hand is, is generally going to be the one who people view as mean and arrogant, but if you look past that, to the substance of what he/she is saying, you'll find truth.
Most people don't want to hear the truth about anything.
Ignorance is bliss and mediocrity is the order of the day, for them.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Clyde,

I second what Charles said,
I also share --- this is how the Irish Brothers and Nuns taught
us ----- you learn inspite of the teacher.
Good Day
Anthony

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I agree there's a difference in pushing people to do greater things, and just being a jerk. From written texts its hard to see intentions.

I've seen 35 highly skilled technicians fail maths because they were scared to ask questions.
I quit biology in high school because the teacher gave me an F because the paper smelled of my parents cigarettes. Even though the document was complete and according to wishes. Which in the end, has costed me an extra year to get where I'm at.

There has to be a balance. If everybody thinks and says you're a jerk, you might be a jerk. If only a quarter of the people do so, they're just a bunch of oversensitive people.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wires ,

try having your homework taken from your bag,
Copied, and get this, because the teacher does not
like you, you get 4 out of 10 and the copier gets
a 9.

Not a word was changed, when my essay was copied.
Good Day
Anthony

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best teachers / coaches are able to tailor their approach to match the needs of their students / players. Some people need a kick in to butt to produce their best. Some need encouragement. Some need to be yelled at, some need to have their hand held, some need to be calmed down.

Everyone has their comfort zone, but a great teacher can adjust his/her style to fit the needs of each individual student.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes the people we think are jerks are trying like crazy to make us better.

And sometimes they're just jerks (or assholes) who think they've earned the right to be jerks (or assholes).

The most interesting part of your story to me is how the free throw ritual is similar to the Boon wiring ritual we've heard Adair talk about, where he makes people unwire and rewire until it's to his satisfaction (maybe he should add the running sprints component). Yet that was mocked...interesting.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My favorite teacher, and the one I learned the most from, was the most hated and feared teacher in my high school. He was a big, scary looking guy. He taught college-prep English Lit (also basketball coach). He taught as if we were intelligent people, actually there to learn. He didn't take any crap from anyone, and expected you to do the work. If you did, fine, if not, you flunked. He made me want to be a writer. (which hasn't happened yet, but maybe someday)

Top Bottom