I have a few junipers

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a few junipers and two out of five are browning really bad continue to water regularly. I cannot figure it out. The one juniper is a blue rug juniper and it is in a tall cascade pot. Do the tall pots need more organic material to keep them wet? I am afraid I might lose it and my other one that is turning brown is a kishu shimpaku juniper I really do not want to lose. This has me stumped because I water regularly and I was watering the rug twice a day and still more browning. My friend thinks it could be chlorine burn, but the rest of my junipers are not affected. Any advice would be welcome.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It is very unlikely that chlorine would be the problem. If it were chlorine, all your plants, and your lawn too, would be showing symptoms.

Actually over watering can be a cause, or possibly juniper tip blight, a fungal pathogen could be the cause. In PA it would be unlikely that you would need to water more than once a day, except maybe on the hottest and lowest humidity days. This is why I suspect possibly overwatering rather than underwatering.

Usually over watering will cause foliage to yellow first. The brown only coming as roots die.

Juniper tip blight, others will have to comment on, I don't have much trouble with that one.

Junipers do quite well in potting media that is entirely inorganic, or with very low organics. You will create more trouble for yourself if you add more organics to your mix.

If junipers do not get enough sun, you can loose branches. Growth will be loose, dark green, the J. horizontalis will loose its "blue color" if it is too shady. Do you have your junipers in full sun?

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Leo in N E Illinois < what he said.
I know I lost many a juniper this way during my first attempts - I lost a beautiful Shimpaku 😔
It’s easy to love the life out of a juniper - but once you get the hang of it you’ll find that they’re very resilient. Check your soil before you water - let it dry up a bit.
What soil are they in?

Top Bottom