I have a procumben...guess it's time to get over my animosity toward them

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some may have read the article that my friend's BIL passed away and had bonsai stollen from his place after his death. The ones they left behind a few young trees. (I believe came from bonsaiboy.com since they found paper work on them.) I am now the beneficiary of...her having high hopes I can tend them and have her BIL rest easy that they will be cared for.

So wish I had taken a photo of before...it was definitely a young tree..."stick in the pot" bonsai. Straight trunk with a lower right branch and a huge gap leading up to a left branch...and further up still...a canopy. I'm kind of curious if bonsaiboy.com adds the wire or if he had done the work himself. But none the less...I wish to respect this man's love of bonsai. And will attempt to keep it alive. That said...the stick in the pot look wasn't working for me. So today...I walked past it and ended up bending it. Yes, it's still young material. But, the stick in the pot sad bonsai is less noticable. (Not sure what the wire was even on the tree for. It had no movement in the straight trunk...but wire on it none the less.)

image.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well done! Yes, lots of people will wire their tree because they think it's supposed to be wired, but have no clue as to what the wire is supposed to do!

A Procumbens, huh? And you're allergic? Didn't your mother warn you about what would happen if you hung around "the bad boys"?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well done! Yes, lots of people will wire their tree because they think it's supposed to be wired, but have no clue as to what the wire is supposed to do!

A Procumbens, huh? And you're allergic? Didn't your mother warn you about what would happen if you hung around "the bad boys"?

Thanks...

Well, then that makes sense. I just could not grasp the purpose of the wire. For...the trunk was straight as straight can be. But, especially without a club or no forum/group. One would be clueless as to how one uses wire for a purpose of movement.

Yup, assuming it's a procumben. Though was never really told one way or the other...been allergic in the past. But, this one has much new soft growth. That I didn't even bother with gloves and it didn't bother me as much as it has in the past. So I'm really unsure.

Could it be something other than procumben then? The foliage is so soft...that it puzzled me unless it's just new growth and a young tree.

Trust me...I never would have made purchase of a procumben. But, how do you say no...to one who is grieving and has hope in you? You just don't...you thank them and say you will try your best.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
been allergic in the past
Allergies change. Sometimes you just outgrow them. I had all kinds of pollen and food allergies when I was young. I am not now (that I am not so young :cool:).

However, this should not affect your animosity toward procumbens in any way. :p

Desert Rat

Yamadori
Reaction score
Procumbens are usually soft, but San Jose Junipers are extremely sharp.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is young and looks healthy. As it ages it will be sharper and poke you. Lol
Unless you can get mature foliage.
It turns pretty easily- if I can do it anyone can

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is young and looks healthy. As it ages it will be sharper and poke you. Lol
Unless you can get mature foliage.
It turns pretty easily- if I can do it anyone can
Guess I can only hope for mature foliage at some point. Yes, it looked amazing when it arrived in my care. The man who had them prior had 20+ years experience with bonsai.

Sad that I never got to see his mature trees he had for all those years. I only hope that those who stole them...doesn't kill them. May he RIP never to know that someone he most likely knew in his appartment complex took them.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know it usually is someone you know who hurts you the most.- Life.
That's so depressing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know it usually is someone you know who hurts you the most.- Life.
That's so depressing.
I told my friend...instead of thinking of it in a bad way...think of it as possibly they wanted something to remember him by. It doesn't change that they were stolen. But, putting a positive outlook on it makes it easier to deal with.

Top Bottom