I have a question for those familiar with the cultivar "Too Little" Bengamina Ficus

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I realize these are known for their curly leaf. When recently watered it does take some of the curl out of the leaf...

My question is...do they fold over on themselves when curled? (Watering had it righted for awhile) just wish to ensure its in adequate light. I see no burnt leaf tips. So...assuming sun isn't to bothersome where it is. Thinking its a cultivar quirk. Just wishing to be certain.
image.jpg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
do they fold over on themselves when curled?
D141493D-EBEB-4DBE-B95D-4B3CFF1742AF.jpeg

Do you mean this folded leaf? F. benjamina get thrips, which cause the leaves to fold. Although it doesn’t quite look like yours. They are usually folded tighter and the older leaves tend to get bumpy and discolored. When you open the leaf you usually find eggs, larvae or adults. Plus I don’t think you have the Cuban Laurel Thrip in Ohio since it probably needs year round leaf growth to propagate. But just something to be aware of if you grow ficus outdoors.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 204004

Do you mean this folded leaf? F. benjamina get thrips, which cause the leaves to fold. Although it doesn’t quite look like yours. They are usually folded tighter and the older leaves tend to get bumpy and discolored. When you open the leaf you usually find eggs, larvae or adults. Plus I don’t think you have the Cuban Laurel Thrip in Ohio since it probably needs year round leaf growth to propagate. But just something to be aware of if you grow ficus outdoors.
It's opens up when you water it. As the heat of the day comes along...it does that. Which I found odd. Yes, read of thrip. But this when well watered the leaf is less tight of a curl. And these few open. No eggs that I seen. But will look closer tomorrow at watering time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Checked again...nothing to my naked eye. I noticed some unfolded this evening. A few still tight. (Smaller in leaf size) I wonder if it's how tight they curl...they force themselves closed. My take on them...take it with a grain of salt that I don't know this species yet.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't think yours would be buggy or have any health issues knowing where it came from.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't think yours would be buggy or have any health issues knowing where it came from.
Thanks...yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Just was concerned it was getting to much sun. But no leaf burn...heat of the day the leaves tend to curl more...relax a bit but still a bit curled in the evening . (Known for curling leaf so nothing unusual.) When watered they open up more. It's amazing what they can tell us. My winged elm which can't do afternoon sun does great on the bench out back. Which is where it sits. It was humid and hot today...less humid and hot now. I think that played part. The leaves are a quirky part of the tree. I had it in dappled shade when it first arrived. But wasn't paying attention to the leaves.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
I have found with some of my ficus that when they put out a lot of leaves at the same time, as in the spring or after defoliation, I get some thrips and a few leaves come out like this. It is almost as if the tree realizes the leaf is not ideal and just gives up on it.

yevhen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello. Tell me where I can buy Ficus Benjamina 'Too Little'?

Last edited:
Top Bottom