I have a question, my furry friend recently passed he was 18 years old.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I miss him terribly anyways, I have burried him at a local pet cemetery and was thinking of asking them if I could get a cutting from one of the trees to remember him by. But I have not had good luck with rooting deciduous cuttings can anyone recommend what rooting gel or powder would work best and the best way to root a deciduous cutting. I have not been to the park yet but thought the spring would be a good time, any suggestions that would help me would be appreciated!!!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My condolences as well. There is also the option of finding a sapling or seedling to grow from the location. I hear older mother tree’s are less likely to strike cuttings from. I’ve never tried so I can’t speak from experience.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My condolences as well. There is also the option of finding a sapling or seedling to grow from the location. I hear older mother tree’s are less likely to strike cuttings from. I’ve never tried so I can’t speak from experience.
These are options as well.

🤓

And the age of the tree should'nt matter, as long as you are taking softwood/semi-hardwood cuttings. (And if the species is known for 'throwing roots)..

Just in case anyone was interested.

;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I miss him terribly anyways, I have burried him at a local pet cemetery and was thinking of asking them if I could get a cutting from one of the trees to remember him by. But I have not had good luck with rooting deciduous cuttings can anyone recommend what rooting gel or powder would work best and the best way to root a deciduous cutting. I have not been to the park yet but thought the spring would be a good time, any suggestions that would help me would be appreciated!!!

My condolences on the loss of your fur friend. Its the hardest and worst thing about having a dog. They dont live long enough.
I doubt you will have trouble getting a small cutting but I would research which trees are on the property. Some species will be harder than others to get cuttings to grow.

We have always chosen to cremate ours and have buried most of their ashes around a Japanese maple growing in our yard.
That way they are always with us. I also keep their name tags as a remembrance.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My condolences friend. Losing a pet is a very difficult part of life…. As far as the trees, I would ask if they would allow you to “propagate” a branch if it’s a species that dosent root from cuttings easily…. The air layer balls on amazon may be an option. Just put do your air layer in an inconspicuous location where it won’t be messed with and is out of the way.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Timing for hardwood cuttings is early to late winter depending on species. Few deciduous trees will root from hardwood. If there is a crape myrtle there it is probably the easiest to root. Softwood cutting are generally taken mid summer and semi are taken later summer.
It would be best to inventory the trees available and then approach it as a tree specific endeavor.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Losing a beloved pet, even though he had a good long life, is always heartbreaking. So sorry for your loss.

Top Bottom